Reputation & jailing

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
LukeZurg22

Reputation & jailing

Post by LukeZurg22 »

Currently ingame I am always being chased by guards constantly, thrown in prison for a certain amount of time, let out, then chased again to have the cycle repeat.

I would believe perhaps my bounty would clear afterwards but it somehow does not. Is there a way to clear my reputation without having to donate a ton of gold to a temple? It would make sense for the bounty to clear once i served my jailtime.

A system that also shows what your reputation is with all of the factions in a menu, simillar to skyrim's bounties, would be very amazing to know what factions i am enemies with without having to use console commands.

Interkarma

Re: Reputation & jailing

Post by Interkarma »

Once your legal reputation is low enough, guards that region will try to force you out of town. You'll be arrested on the grounds of "criminal conspiracy" (even if you did nothing wrong recently), thrown in jail for a couple of nights, then dumped outside of town. This will repeat until your reputation raises above that threshold. Basically, you're a known bad-guy and they don't care for you in their town.

There's some information about reputation in general and ways to restore your legal reputation on this UESP page. There are a few quests you can look for, or travelling around will normalise reputation back towards 0 at the rate of 1 point per month.

To see your legal reputation in Daggerfall, press the status key (default I). This will show you your reputation "in the eyes of the law". In DFU, you can also use "print_legalrep" to see your numerical legal reputation in all regions.

Legal reputation is isolated to a particular region. So one strategy is to move to a different region for several months until the heat dies down.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Since you referenced it I am going to assume the information is true and valid for DFU on that particular section. So it makes this statement "There are some exceptions, however, and at a certain high rank within a faction, your reputation will no longer drop, even if you don't do any quests in a month." Could you please tell me what rank(s) they are talking about?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

They're discussing guild rank, which is something still to be confirmed. I'm following a conversation here that should yield confirmation of this in classic. At this time doesn't lock in faction reputation at high ranks, but this could easily be added once confirmed.

Your legal reputation is a different mechanism though, unrelated to guilds. That's the part I was trying to draw your attention towards (at the bottom of that UESP page).

LukeZurg22

Post by LukeZurg22 »

At any rate, a mod or UI that displays which factions you have reputation in would be neat. I know about print_legalrep but that isn't as enjoyable as pressing a shortcut and looking at a background UI presentation with all the factions listed. ;)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

That'd be huuuuuge. If there's one in particular that interests you, you can enter the FactionData.txt file in your save game. It stores the reputation value with each of the game's factions for that save.