Clearing Monsters from house quests broken?

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
BansheeXYZ

Re: Clearing Monsters from house quests broken?

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Hmm. I just realized that there are lots of extermination quests like this and your message actually matches what most of them use as a completion indicator. I withdraw my suggestion in favor of matching other quest text.

OP's confusion is still legit, though. Maybe there's some way to at least have 1 enemy be present the moment he walks in. That's all that's needed to stop the problem. (Though I'm convinced that walking into a giant pack of vermin would be way more interesting as a fix.)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

We actually had a conversation on Discord where the user said, "I went in and killed the monster, but the questgiver won't talk to me now." :lol: So if there's just one monster present that also poses some risk of confusion.

In either case Daggerfall requires some learning. It isn't the kind of game you crowd around at a party and pass the mouse among yourselves to each have a turn, but that's okay. It fulfills its own role quite well.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Jay_H wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:17 pmIn either case Daggerfall requires some learning. It isn't the kind of game you crowd around at a party and pass the mouse among yourselves to each have a turn, but that's okay. It fulfills its own role quite well.
I dunno, I can't bring myself to take this view that everyone just needs to flood reddit and the forums for the rest of time. I don't know how you guys do it or plan to do it long term.

Out of curiosity, how would I go about editing this file to make the spawns happen immediately? I just want to see how it plays like that. Also, if I save a game after getting the quest, then edit the questfile, do those edits take effect on load or do I have to trigger the quest again?

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

I completely understand base DFU doesn't want to drift from classic beyond the many added optional features and optional/base UI/control QoL improvements already made, but of all the classic quests I'm familiar with, this one is one of a small handful that's prone to a LOT of confusion, and also doesn't really make sense given the ongoing infestation claimed by the quest giver. I again agree with Banshee on his suggestion for changes to this quest. Will be interested to see how his testing goes with the immediate initial beastie spawn idea (which I'd also strongly prefer over classic).

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:47 am Out of curiosity, how would I go about editing this file to make the spawns happen immediately? I just want to see how it plays like that. Also, if I save a game after getting the quest, then edit the questfile, do those edits take effect on load or do I have to trigger the quest again?
The quest file gets baked into your save, so you have to save before accepting the quest if you want to see any changes.

Quest: https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... C00Y07.txt

Go to lines 146, 151, 156 and 161:

Code: Select all

create foe _bats_ every 3 minutes indefinitely with 25% success 
Change that to every 0 minutes for instantaneous spawns. Don't be surprised if you get flooded, though :lol: Every 1 minutes means every 5 seconds, which will be more sane.

You'll find similar entries for m0b00y15 and b0c00y13.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Well, that was fun as hell. Against your warnings, I did the laziest edit possible and changed the spawn interval to 0 minutes. I think this is the first time ever in Daggerfall I've found myself flailing at things not to kill them, but to clear a path in a mad scramble for the exit. :lol:

Things didn't go so hot when I got the scorpion draw. Those things are wayyy stronger than the other 3 draws, even my lvl 1 high elf got slaughtered. I'm surprised classic only has giant spiders and scorpions. It would be trivial to create "baby" versions for quests like this and mob the player with spiderlings.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Hey, I'm glad you enjoyed it :lol: Quest writing is a lot of fun. Even an altered quest pack for classic would be a pretty simple and fulfilling task, I say. Not a bad way for a new person to get started if they wanted.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

So much fun! :D

pango

Post by pango »

Few things scream "I'm screwed" better than spiders spawning on top of spiders :lol:

It's sad you don't see so many groups of monsters in classic; unless maybe when they're released all at once by one of those "trap" rooms surrounded with doors.
But I could totally see rat packs as a way to create larger threats out of otherwise low level enemies...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Mod: how the 0 timer version really ends

Code: Select all

QuestComplete:  [1004]
Burn _house_ to the ground? No, no, no I couldn't do that, %pcn. I'll hire some wizards
to fumigate the house with toxic clouds. Look, I appreciate you killing as many 
as you did, and I'm sorry that you almost died. Here's your _gold_ gold.
:lol: :lol:

it's sad you don't see so many groups of monsters in classic;
Yeah, it's kind of a missed opportunity. Poor bats and rats never get to chew on you in numbers, they're solitary pushovers the whole game.