Guild Quest List Menu

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Baler

Re: Guild Quest List Menu

Post by Baler »

EpicSpellsword404 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:16 pm How about something like a quest board, which would generate a number of jobs for the player to pick and choose from? That way there would be more control if you're bored of certain quests, but there wouldn't be cheating with things like spending a day killing rats in one city to reach max rank in the fighter's guild.
Quest Boards / job Boards are an old idea from final fantasy I believe, though also used in other games. Not exactly what I had in mind. I know some people really like the 'board' idea but I was thinking more of giving access to all available quests.
This would also allow for easier/faster testing of quests for average players.

I think simple is better in this case. The idea isn't to add anything 'new' to the game. Rather add a QoL feature/ease of access.
Player retention could also benefit from this. The infamous yes/no/repeat is something both veterans and new players kind of find annoying. Start adding custom quests into the mix and well that's a lot of repeating.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Thinking of adding this as a module to the roleplaying and realism modpack. You obviously will have to imagine the dialogue of discussing the available quests, but having a listbox should be easy enough. (whoops just jinxed myself probably)

Do you think that would be a good (enough) fit?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

So I've been working on this and had a couple of false starts. While I am happy with the design of the guild objects, the service handling is pretty hard to extend easily which is a bit of a failure on my coding. To be fair to myself, it evolved as I grew in understanding of DF mechanisms.

Anyway I've made progress now, and think I can add this to Roleplay & Realism as an optional module. I've got as far as showing a list of quest names e.g. B0B40Y08. Still need to figure out how to avoid replicating the quest offering and choice code, but that's for another day.

WHat I've completely forgotten is that the quest names are not actually anywhere in the DFU codebase for most of the classic quests. If people want this then I need someone who's prepared to type in quest names for every classic quest and who is not Jay_H - he is busy enough.

So, any volunteers prepared to do it?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

I think this is small enough and preferred enough to be a built-in option. All it does is prevent the tedium of clicking no 20 times until the one you want shows up. It is, in essence, a click reducer like all the others.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

If Interkarma asks me to add it as a core option then I will do that, otherwise it's going into a mod. I feel like I have added a lot of options and don't want to be the guy who just added stuff willy nilly. It would certainly be a lot easier to implement that way, but I've figured out all of the hard stuff now so either is good for me.

Either way I am not typing in all the quest display names, happy to do the programming, but not that.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

Hazelnut wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:27 pm WHat I've completely forgotten is that the quest names are not actually anywhere in the DFU codebase for most of the classic quests. If people want this then I need someone who's prepared to type in quest names for every classic quest and who is not Jay_H - he is busy enough.

So, any volunteers prepared to do it?
Just to understand, do you a need a mapping between Quest ID (ex. m0c00y12) and the corresponding Quest Name from UESP (ex. "Hunt for a Giant Spider")?

And this mapping is needed for the quests from:
  • Dark Brotherhood
  • Fighters Guild
  • Knight Orders
  • Mages Guild
  • Temples and Templar Orders
  • Thieves Guild
  • Witch Covens
?

If so, I think I can recreate that list using info from UESP pages.

ex: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Hun ... ant_Spider

A lot of copy and paste though :lol:

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

The names from UESP are kind of bad. I volunteer to come up with an alternative set this week. I'm not okay with "The Obsessed Child" for example. Whoever wrote that meant possessed. Then you've got names like "The Errand" and "The Delivery". If you can't distinguish the quests, there's no point in quest selection.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Firebrand wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:49 pm
If so, I think I can recreate that list using info from UESP pages.

ex: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Hun ... ant_Spider

A lot of copy and paste though :lol:
Yep, a lot of copy and pasting from UESP is exactly what I am asking. Done plenty of that myself over the past 2 years.. but nothing to this level. :)

Banshee, happy for you to suggest names to be changed and I agree with your point. However, I think in the first instance just using the names as defined on UESP is the best idea. Then you could post proposed changes which could be discussed then made once agreement is reached.

I'm not sure if these names have any officialness or were just named by fans. Does anyone know?

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

I've almost completed the list from UESP. From that, you can improve the names as you prefer :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Firebrand wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:48 pm I've almost completed the list from UESP. From that, you can improve the names as you prefer :)
Wait, what? Where are you putting them? I've not given instructions yet... :shock:

I appreciate the enthusiasm though. I am thinking they should go into the quest tx file headers under DisplayName like existing quests - just got to check that compiling all quests for a pool just to present in a list wont have any problems, hence why I'd not given details of where the pasting should be to yet... because it may need to be a different place like the quest lists. :)