Sell more items

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Jesster

Sell more items

Post by Jesster »

I gave my best shot at reading through tutorials and messing with Unity editor, but I'm hopeless. What I wanted to do was create a mod that expanded on the types of items you could sell to different merchants, such as soul gems and potions. Some things just clutter up my inventory because I'd hate to just toss things away that should be valuable. Also, filling an empty soul gem and selling it for profit sounds like it would be lucrative work that would make plenty of sense in this world. How else would merchants get filled soul gems?

Is anyone else up to the task? I'll keep trying to learn the modding tools when I regain my patience, but it could be a while.

ShortBeard

Re: Sell more items

Post by ShortBeard »

So, what merchant buys which items is found in DaggerfallTradeWindow.cs in the static field

Code: Select all

storeBuysItemType 
The potential problem is that when assigning what items a merchant will buy, it's assigned via "category" of item, not specific items, so soul gems (Called Soul_trap) are listed as a "MiscItem" (ItemEnum.cs) . If you were to add MiscItem to the the list of types the merchant will buy, that means the merchant will also buy:

Spellbook
Letter_of_credit
Potion_recipe
Dead_Body
House_Deed
Ship_Deed
Map

And I'm not sure if a merchant necessarily wants to buy a dead body :lol:. It could have been possible to perhaps make your own item enum that just remove things like "Dead body", but as it is, mods that create and use new enums can't be used due to the compiler (AFAIK). But maybe someone can do something with this information or correct me if I'm wrong on any of this!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Good answer ShortBeard!

Due to the issue above, probably the easiest way to mod in selling of soul gems & potions would be to create a custom guild service to provide this similar to selling magic items. Or maybe modify that service and join TG.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

"And I'm not sure if a merchant necessarily wants to buy a dead body "-ShortBeard
Well the spymaster told me about this one guy who enjoys seeing them dance and that cat don't lie, at least that is the word on the street :lol:

I got what you are saying but I would be more worried about selling a spell book (are those replaceable without some console magic), the deed to my house or ship or that letter of credit I am sure would have an exchange value of 1 gold to 1000 gold.

I was always under the impression there was a guy in a few of the factions that bought magic items which I would think a filled soul gem would be. I haven't messed with soul trap and gems in Daggerfall so might be confusing memories of other TES games.