KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
King of Worms

Re: KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

Post by King of Worms »

gradash wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:30 pm There is any mirror out of MEGA?

MEGA blocks my ISP.
On this page few posts down, Jay linked something different to you... and its becazse Ive also mistaken it be4
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1168&start=830

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I have no idea what settings to use, should have not asked anyone :lol:
Ive tryed just a slight 10% opacity, so its almost invisible, and I dont like it.

I think I will use something very similar to the 1st image Ive posted and call it a quit

25% opacity gave us the white outline Ive said I dont like, but I guess ppl havent look enough to see it. But I do.

1st image is 50% opacity and 10 pixels wide aura
So I will make it 45% opacity and 10 pixels wide aura

Its ok to look on vanila for a refference, thats 100% opacity and the effect is VERY visible and big...

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

'S a good point, it won't be bad if it looks alot like the vanilla effect.

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

So. Loads of automation have yielded results.

Here's all the clothes. All 8,868 of them.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/oskn9y00 ... s.zip/file

Annnd loads more later brings us weapons and armor:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/s8zsbjad ... r.zip/file

Some of it's not perfect, I know, but there's so many files I can hardly look at them without my head spinning. Even so I tried my best to get anything really glaring. The weapons at least turned out pretty good, not too many so I was able to give them a little bit of love.

Edit: Woops, missed a few armor bits:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/rx18bnqa ... m.zip/file

I'll look into it tomorrow, but in testing I noticed that the default "masks" still work, but are very pixellated.
We'll need new ones for
Clothes:
23,24,27,32,48 (cloaks and capes with hoods)
Armor:
27,28,29,30,31,32 (Helmets)

I think there's a real simple way to do it with imagemagick, so it should be easy enough.

Also, where does one mention a bug? While testing the clothes I've found the cape and formal cloak are equippable at the same time, and they should be exclusive to eachother.

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

I have now complete Masks. What an ordeal! I feel like a minor how-to is in order, just to make sure if anyone else ever needs to/ wants to do this again, they'll know how I did it.

First off, get the full version of daggerfall unity from github, not just daggerfall tools standalone.

Then get unity, create a project, save it and close it. Replace the project files with the github DFU ones.
Set up unity as per the Tutorial for setting up daggerfall tools.

Download the Texture Exporter Script, and praise TheLacus' name for its existence. Put the .cs file into the Assets/Editor folder in the daggerfall unity project. Then under Daggerfall Tools> Texture Exporter you can have the game give you all the files of all dyes and materials from the texture folders you're working with (Daggerfall Imaging can help you find which archives).

Now you'll want to upscale them. KOW found a tricky, but functional program ESRGanResizer You'll also want a couple "models" to upscale with: Get them at the bottom of this page.

I used CartoonPainted 400000 for everything except chain, which needed manual editing (to fill the holes) and then use of cartoonpainted 5000 (less clean, but it kept the chainmail from looking too distorted). The settings were provided by King of Worms here.

After you've done this the images will have a solid black background that needs to be removed. I used a utility called imagemagick for nearly all of the images, but a few with thinner lines needed manual work with the "magic wand" selection tool in Paint.Net. The imagemagick code I used is as follows:

magick.bat

Code: Select all

for %%f in (*.png) do convert %%f -fuzz 10 -transparent rgb(0,0,0) output/%%f

Make sure to add a folder named output next to the file. Any .png in the folder with the bat will be converted, and the results will be found in the output folder.

This will clean up some of the images perfectly. But many defects will result due to automated processes. To clean frayed, pixelated, or otherwise slightly garbled edges, I use a Paint.Net plugin called: AA's_Assistant by dpy.

Now after much editing and Anti-aliasing, you'll have all your images. Now it's time to add "Masks" to them:

Daggerfall Workshop has a small write-up about this, but I found the language confusing and ended up trying every possible method until I got it.

So, you want to take the image, put it on a white or black background, cut the image out, leaving a transparent hole in the background. Your character's face will only be visible in the parts of the image where there is transparency; Anywhere the background remains will be cropped out of the paperdoll picture.

This is going to take some manual work, but it's only ~800 more to do, but at least imagemagick can help you out a little here.

picturehole.bat

Code: Select all

for %%f in (*.png) do convert %%f matte:- | convert -transparent black - output/%%f
Just like the other batch file, you'll need an "output" folder. This will make the image a silhouette with no transparency, and then will cut the silhouette out of the image, essentially leaving you a hole in the shape of your helmet. Now you'll need to manually edit it again to open up the area for necks etc. poking out under the helmets..etc.

And that's about that.

Here's the Masks: https://www.mediafire.com/file/ahk54t9a ... s.zip/file

That should about do it. We have paperdoll assets.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Wow thats crazy you did it in such a short time!!
Now to put it all together - so I will download everything from previous post and the masks from this one and it should be it?
I will try that during the weekend, test it, and if its all good I will create a DFMOD from it.
I will let u know how it goes ;)

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

King of Worms wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:36 pm Wow thats crazy you did it in such a short time!!
Now to put it all together - so I will download everything from previous post and the masks from this one and it should be it?
I will try that during the weekend, test it, and if its all good I will create a DFMOD from it.
I will let u know how it goes ;)
Yeah, All the files are named appropriately, and can be just dropped in the StreamingAssets/Textures folder.

1Mac

Post by 1Mac »

This looks lovely! I'm trying to download the Mac version and repeatedly get a "Temporary Error, Retrying" message from MegaUpload. The Windows and Linux versions do not have this issue, and I was able to download the Windows version as a test without a problem. Is it MegaUpload weirdness, or a problem with the file itself?

(I'm also curious as to why each OS needs its own version. I assume it's something peculiar to Unity?)

Thanks!

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

D
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

GreatSphynx

Post by GreatSphynx »

First off I love this mod and have been experimenting with it along with others to get different feels for the game.

Recently I've been playing with retro rendering on and I absolutely love how interiors and dungeons look using the DREAM textures, even at the low render resolution the added material properties add a whole lot of character to the game, so I've sort of been seeking out a retro+ feel to the game by pairing just the textures with the handpainted 3d model replacements.

That being said... because the replacement textures are so high res the outdoor textures kind of get destroyed in the retro rendering mode. At a distance in retro rendering all the detail gets completely blurred out and muddied (especially noticeable in the 2nd image below). I'm using point filtering for everything and messed around with the mipmap enable for the retro renderer (which doesn't seem to work), and I just can't get the outdoor textures to play as nice with the retro renderer.

I know you've already done a lot in terms of modularity with this mod, my question is how possible would it be to split the textures into indoor and outdoor mods separately? I'm sure it's doable but i'm guessing it would probably be a lot of extra work for just one guy requesting it. Is there a way I could easily do this on my own? I have some coding experience but no unity experience.

Some screenshots below to show what I'm talking about. Vanilla textures on top followed by DREAM with retro rendering at 640x400 + lighting and shadows.

https://i.imgur.com/o9QqAYO.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/beImuZ6.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/qF45wa6.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/rPprXNc.jpg

Thanks again for all your hard work on this mod, it's amazing.