Mod load order and settings not being saved

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
clocknova

Mod load order and settings not being saved

Post by clocknova »

Just installed the latest build on MacOS, but the game will not save any of my mod data. Reordering the mods, activating and deactivating them, then quitting the game and restarting results in all of my mods reverting to alphabetical order and all activated.

Any ideas?

TheLacus

Re: Mod load order and settings not being saved

Post by TheLacus »

Load order is saved to StreamingAssets\Mods\Mod_Settings.json. Check if this file is generated; if not, please provide the log file found at /Users/Username/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log :)

clocknova

Post by clocknova »

Okay, I found this in the log file:

Failed to write mod settings: Access to the path "/private/var/folders/5c/s4hd_4sx7qn5lj86w2h1bzpr0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/2290D9C4-8387-4323-943F-58ADD6CBC562/d/DaggerfallUnity.app/Contents/Resources/Data/StreamingAssets/Mods/Mod_Settings.json" is denied.

Not sure what is going on here. Why would it be trying to write the setting file there instead of into the mod folder? It should read:
"/Applications/Games/Daggerfall Unity/DaggerfallUnity.app/Contents/Resources/Data/StreamingAssets/Mods/Mod_Settings.json"

clocknova

[THELACUS?] 0.8.6 (Mac Universal) Mod settings not being written

Post by clocknova »

Just installed the latest build on MacOS, but the game will not save any of my mod data. After checking a but, I found this in the log file:

Failed to write mod settings: Access to the path "/private/var/folders/5c/s4hd_4sx7qn5lj86w2h1bzpr0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/2290D9C4-8387-4323-943F-58ADD6CBC562/d/DaggerfallUnity.app/Contents/Resources/Data/StreamingAssets/Mods/Mod_Settings.json" is denied.

Not sure what is going on here. Why would it be trying to write the setting file there instead of into the actual mod folder? The proper data path on my machine is:
"/Applications/Games/Daggerfall Unity/DaggerfallUnity.app/Contents/Resources/Data/StreamingAssets/Mods/Mod_Settings.json"

Interkarma

Re: 0.8.6 (Mac Universal) Mod settings not being written

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for report. The StreamingAssets folder is being queried out of Unity itself - strange that it provides that path. I'll assign this one to TheLacus for now to check the mod settings serialization code for any anomalies, but I'm not sure if he has a Mac to test properly with (I don't either).

Contributors: any of you working on a Mac and might be able to take a closer look?

TheLacus

Re: [THELACUS?] 0.8.6 (Mac Universal) Mod settings not being written

Post by TheLacus »

Path is defined as following:

Code: Select all

ModDirectory = Path.Combine(Application.streamingAssetsPath, "Mods");
Can you check if you have other error messages in the log? For example "Mod Directory doesn't exist".

Possibly relevant links:
Interkarma wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:56 pm Thanks for report. The StreamingAssets folder is being queried out of Unity itself - strange that it provides that path. I'll assign this one to TheLacus for now to check the mod settings serialization code for any anomalies, but I'm not sure if he has a Mac to test properly with (I don't either).

Contributors: any of you working on a Mac and might be able to take a closer look?
I don't have a Mac, feedback from players on that platform would be much useful.

clocknova

Post by clocknova »

The problem still exists as of the current alpha build.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Can you try to move the game outside of Applications?

clocknova

Post by clocknova »

No change. Tried moving it to several locations. Cannot find any further error messages in log file.

I'm happy to perform any tests on my Mac that will help you. Just let me know.

EDIT:

Okay, I've found that if I open the app bundle and navigate to "DaggerfallUnity.app/Contents/MacOS/DaggerfallUnity" and launch the Unix executable, which launches the game through the MacOS terminal app, everything works fine. Reverting to launching the game the standard way by double clicking the app bundle itself results in the original problem returning.

clocknova

Post by clocknova »

Does anyone else have the ability to test this so I can find out whether or not it's a problem on my end?