Magic items hard numbered effects?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Ommamar

Magic items hard numbered effects?

Post by Ommamar »

I recall from classic that when I had a magic item that applied a buff that it would "cast" itself with a random result each time I traveled or entered a dungeon. That doesn't appear to be the case here, am I correct in that observation?

Interkarma

Re: Magic items hard numbered effects?

Post by Interkarma »

In Daggerfall Unity, "On Equip" enchantments are assigned when you equip the item and unassigned when you unequip the item. The spell will persist so long as item remains equipped.

The way classic needs to reset this every time you travel or load a game appears mostly to be an issue with state persistence management. Daggerfall Unity has more robust management of effect state, and very clearly defined mechanisms for enchantments.

Ommamar

Re: Magic items hard numbered effects?

Post by Ommamar »

It is a nice feature as you could often become less powerful from just traveling as the effect amounts where all random in classic. Magic items also seemed to wear out quicker in classic, I always figured that this was because each item had a set number of uses/casts that where used up each time you got an item roll.
I don't even know if armor takes damage in DFU, the only thing I have had to repair is my weapon. I am also still in the lower level think my highest is level 14 so constantly equipping better gear so just might not be noticeable at the moment. I also rarely use the spells that actually cast an effect on a a target so no idea of their life span either.