[MOD] Improved Interior Lighting [October 2020 - v1.0.3]

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
ShortBeard

[MOD] Improved Interior Lighting [October 2020 - v1.0.3]

Post by ShortBeard »

Hey,

I've been working on making the lighting in dungeons and interiors feel more warm and natural since all of it is done by flame. The mod comes with some preset colors and values that I think look nice, but everyone has different tastes, screen brightness, sun glare, etc. So play around with the values to see what you like!

October 2020 Update:
v1.0.3 is finally out after being very overdue. Thank you to Ralzar for helping to bring me up to speed!

Known problems:
-Some light sources are removed, but not replaced. This is due to not all light sources being found in the 210 archive as I first thought.

Features:
  • Warmer lighting colors in interiors
  • Fireplace lighting in interiors
  • Customizable player torch color
  • Improved dungeon lighting ("vanilla" DF combines lights in close proximity - now all lights have their own individual source)
  • Static NPC & enemy shadow toggles
  • Light flickering to give a more natural feel
  • Handpainted Models compatible (and recommended along side D.R.E.A.M)
  • Don't like the flickering, a certain color, or shadows? The light are too bright or not bright enough? Want to use this mod for building interiors but not dungeons? Just change it in the mod settings!
Also try adjusting the DFUnity light values found under Advanced > Enhancements for different effects!

Change log:
Spoiler!
Version 1.0.1 changes:
  • Fixed a bug where light flickering script was being added to the player torch.
  • Fixed a bug where torch color was going back to default settings upon entering an interior.
  • Created a separate sub menu for fireplaces in the mod settings.
Version 1.0.2 changes:
  • Removed the option to have fireplace lights in Dungeons since fireplace objects become part of the dungeons combined mesh and are unable to be specifically targeted by this mod.
Version 1.0.3 changes:
  • Player torch is now grabbed by DFU reference rather than searching the GameObject hierarchy. This allows for more consistent compatibility between mods.
  • Enemies marked as "noShadow" by DFU will no longer cast shadows. However, this can be toggled back on in the settings.
  • Fixed a bug that occurred when this mod is used with Hand Painted Models where flats in dungeons that Hand Painted Models did not replace did not have their light sources adjusted by Improved Interior Lighting.
  • Fixed an error that occurred when using this mod with Camera Shake.

Download v1.0.3
https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/144/

Source
https://github.com/ShortBeard/DFUnity_I ... ior_Lights

Thanks to Syrophir for the idea of the NPC shadows which led me to do more with the lighting! Here are some sample screenshots of the Improved Interior Lighting mod in action:
before-after.jpg
before-after.jpg (397.96 KiB) Viewed 29622 times
before-after2.jpg
before-after2.jpg (256.68 KiB) Viewed 29622 times
Last edited by ShortBeard on Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:11 am, edited 13 times in total.

King of Worms

Re: Improved Interior Lighting

Post by King of Worms »

Very insterresting, cant wait to test it out!

Firebrand

Re: Improved Interior Lighting

Post by Firebrand »

Excellent idea 8-) It really looks it improves immersivity! :)

ShortBeard

Re: [MOD] Improved Interior Lighting

Post by ShortBeard »

I've just updated the original post with some more information and screenshots - and it's now ready for download! Let me know what you all think! :)

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

ShortBeard wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:10 pm I've just updated the original post with some more information and screenshots - and it's now ready for download! Let me know what you all think! :)
I love it! :)

pango

Post by pango »

Really sweet!
As far as I can tell it works fine under Linux too. I'll keep testing it for sure :D
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Lava Croft

Post by Lava Croft »

Thank you for your work, it enhances interiors quite a bit!

wongo

Post by wongo »

The customizable player torch color seems to reset its setting to default upon entering and exiting a building.

ShortBeard

Post by ShortBeard »

wongo wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:12 pm The customizable player torch color seems to reset its setting to default upon entering and exiting a building.
Hi Wongo,

Could you tell me what mod settings you have changed - if any at all? Or tell me what steps you took to reproduce the bug? I'm having some trouble reproducing it.

If anyone else is having the same problem, I'd love some details!

wongo

Post by wongo »

ShortBeard wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:33 am
wongo wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:12 pm The customizable player torch color seems to reset its setting to default upon entering and exiting a building.
Hi Wongo,

Could you tell me what mod settings you have changed - if any at all? Or tell me what steps you took to reproduce the bug? I'm having some trouble reproducing it.

If anyone else is having the same problem, I'd love some details!
The settings are default, except with a different player torch color. Here is a recording of me demonstrating the bug.
https://streamable.com/nts75