[MOD] Archaeologists

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Orbarth

Re: [MOD] Archaeologists

Post by Orbarth »

Is it possible to find the location of an archaeologist guild during gameplay (i mean without having to look to the location spoilers in the 2nd post of this thread) ?
I can't seem to find any reference to archaelogists (unless i'm in a town that has one) in the dialogues with random town npc .

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

@Erik: Hi, I'm not ignoring your post. I've been giving it some thought and it's useful balance info. I'm going on holiday tomorrow, but I hope once I have a bit more time and energy I can reply more fully and make some refinements to the mod's balance. I do still want to have the locators be expensive for lower ranks to avoid helping make the game too easy for already overpowered characters just because they joined at rank 1. Possibly I could work in different levels of locator, so you would need to explore less for it to activate. Dunno yet.

@Obarth: No, unfortunately not. That's not something I've even looked at doing, although it would be nice. I think that I'd need to understand a lot more about the talk and rumour systems to even begin to think about how to do that.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jesster

Post by Jesster »

I've been trying this mod out, but I've been having all sorts of bugs that I was able to squash as soon as I disabled this. It's been making some buildings inaccessible (residences will give me the "welcome" messages without letting me in). Map labels have also been incorrect, such as mislabeled residences and shops. It's made several quests either difficult or impossible to complete.

I love the idea of this mod and I absolutely want to include it in my next play-through, but I'll wait until it's more polished. I hope this helps.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

The Archaeologists uses the standard quest engine, so that can't be the mod's issue. It's likely to do with the map marking regressions that occurred at alpha's release. Further discussion here: https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... ssues/1408

Jesster

Post by Jesster »

I can't say what the root of the issue really is. All I know is that these bugs only existed with this mod enabled. The map issues also existed before and after the recent Daggerfall Unity update, but I only ran into the inaccessible residence last night. Everything was fine after disabling this mod.

The thieves guild and dark brotherhood markers not appearing was an entirely separate issue, and the latest Daggerfall Unity update solved it.
Last edited by Jesster on Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the info. I'll let Hazelnut answer when he can.

Jaiysaun

Post by Jaiysaun »

Every merchant or innkeeper I talk to won't talk to me. They say it's because I'm a member of the Thieves Guild, which are allied to the Archaeologists Repairers, who are an enemy of The Merchants. I can still buy/sell/rent/etc, but I can no longer get quests from them.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

There's nothing in the mod that can or does change whether a residence is enterable or not, unless you're trying to enter the buildings used for the guild when the world data override is not working because you have not got asset injection enabled. It also doesn't do anything with map labels, just adds a faction that the map will then associate with building via faction id.

Faction stuff may not work correctly if you don't start a new character with this mod enabled. It might but this is not something I've checked. The mod adds new factions but since factions and rep are saved with the character, there may be issues, as I said not something I've not really investigated yet.

TG is not allied with Archs repairers, and not enemies either so definitely something messed up in your saved factions. I may need to advise that this mod must be used from the start, but I had thought that the factions could be added okay mid-playthough. Unfortunately this mod is a bit too complex gameplay wise to be something you can add/remove as and when you like. When I am back from holiday I'll do a some testing of the faction stuff and then advise accordingly.

For now, if you have problems I suggest either enable the mod and start a new game or carry on without this mod.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Orbarth

Post by Orbarth »

Hazelnut wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:02 pm @Obarth: No, unfortunately not. That's not something I've even looked at doing, although it would be nice. I think that I'd need to understand a lot more about the talk and rumour systems to even begin to think about how to do that.
Maybe as a workaround, making a book about the Archaeologist guild , that would also include a list of their guild location could be interesting, and additionally another reason to go visit some library :) without having to work with the talks and rumours while still staying true to the game system

For the quest, sometime i get one involving a residence, but where all other quest mention the residence name (by example "The Copperfiled Residence" like in a recent fighter guild quest) , archaeologists only mention "Residence" without giving it a name.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

yeah I noticed that 'residence' thing too - that didn't used to happen.

Happy to have a book if someone could write it I will add it in. Be good to have some in game info like that.