Paperdoll Offset Bug [Classic bug]

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Adrinus

Paperdoll Offset Bug [Classic bug]

Post by Adrinus »

DF Classic had a quirk where some items don't fit into the female variant hands:
Spoiler!
While the bug was present in DF Classic, DFU seems to further displace these items for both hands. My theory is that the "male" variants of the weapon textures (and as such their programmed visual off-sets)are being used incorrectly on female paperdolls. There should be 4 distinct "body types", and each of those have male and female variants. There are some other issues with helmets as well that have been reported to me, so it'd be worth looking over that whole area of code.

If it helps for testing, find included a copy of upscaled textures: these were generated directly from DF Imaging 2, and appear to have correct dimensions and labels.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/y55ev8bu ... s.zip/file
Last edited by TheLacus on Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added classic bug tag

TheLacus

Re: Paperdoll Offset Bug [Classic bug]

Post by TheLacus »

You can change offsets for custom textures, but this might not be the desired solution.
I added the tag Classic Bug to this post for now. Maybe someone else has more to say on this issue.

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

It would be a daunting task to manually change all the off-sets, specially when they already exist as defaults. If I were making new items that would be a perfect solution.

The classic tag makes sense, but DFU is causing the bug to be more pronounced than in Classic, leading me to believe there's something with the DFU engine that needs looking into.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Kill me but I dont understand the issue here. I zoom on hands... why is the mace equipped in some screens and not equipped in others.

Sry if Im too stupid :)

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

Look at the longsword, and where it connects with the hand.

In classic it's off by a pixel, in DFU it's off by say... 3-4 (classic daggerfall)pixels.

I'm not testing the mace in those examples specifically, but it shows that both hands suffer from offset issues.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

King of Worms wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:41 pm Kill me but I dont understand the issue here. I zoom on hands... why is the mace equipped in some screens and not equipped in others.

Sry if Im too stupid :)
I think the problem is the hilt of the sword. The hand, it's not around the hilt, but inside :shock:

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

Firebrand wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:43 pm
I think the problem is the hilt of the sword. The hand, it's not around the hilt, but inside :shock:
Not quite. Oddly, though they (OG Creators of DFC) developed a masking solution for hats and cloaks, they decided not to use that for the weapons, instead opting for just cutting out an area on the weapon in the exact spot the hand would be, and drawing the weapon over all other layers (at least I think so).

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Oh now I see it.

Lets ignore the silver mace.

B but... why does it hide the exact spot this bug is about?

Anyway, seems the problem is understood now so lets hope it will get solved.