Paper Doll items

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
jayhova

Paper Doll items

Post by jayhova »

I am curious. One of the things that has always slightly annoyed me about Daggerfall is that certain items require cut outs in order to work. This makes those items less attractive when displayed in the shop dialog. Is it possible to have a second "Display" version of an item that is complete along with the functional one used on the paper doll? It occurs to me that you could then do things like slightly change things like the hand to look less one size fits all.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Firebrand

Re: Paper Doll items

Post by Firebrand »

I was just noticing that, after weeks playing: why my katana hasn't got an hilt, while in the inventory? :? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Having an "uncut" display version of the item would indeed be 8-)

pango

Post by pango »

I assume it would require paper-doll to be displayed using more layers (display hands on a new layer on top of weapons,...); Once this is done the items could be drawn in full without the cut off hacks, in both inventory and paper-doll.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

pango wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:29 pm I assume it would require paper-doll to be displayed using more layers (display hands on a new layer on top of weapons,...); Once this is done the items could be drawn in full without the cut off hacks, in both inventory and paper-doll.
Nope. You just use the existing version of the paper doll item and then make a separate one that is just for display. Since the paper doll item never is seen independent of the paper doll you can do tricks to make the paper doll version better. The only change necessary is to have a display version that eliminates the cutout. There are already items that don't get displayed on the paper doll so aren't changed to make them look right. You could make paper doll versions of these items: Rings, torcs, bracers, etc.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

jayhova wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:44 am
pango wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:29 pm I assume it would require paper-doll to be displayed using more layers (display hands on a new layer on top of weapons,...); Once this is done the items could be drawn in full without the cut off hacks, in both inventory and paper-doll.
Nope. You just use the existing version of the paper doll item and then make a separate one that is just for display. Since the paper doll item never is seen independent of the paper doll you can do tricks to make the paper doll version better. The only change necessary is to have a display version that eliminates the cutout. There are already items that don't get displayed on the paper doll so aren't changed to make them look right. You could make paper doll versions of these items: Rings, torcs, bracers, etc.
Have fun creating those 10 000 items

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

King of Worms wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:53 am Have fun creating those 10 000 items
Well there is no point if there is no way for them to be displayed. I'm not actually asking anyone to do all that work just make the work worth doing. That being said, not all items need to be changed to make a better display version because only some of them include cut outs to make layering work.

I tell you what, If this is made possible I will do 1000 items (if in fact there are that many) starting with the weapons. I'll start with the weapons right now if we can make this happen in the future.

I'm unsure if this would be affected by the feature freeze

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

"..That being said, not all items need to be changed to make a better display version because only some of them include cut outs to make layering work."

Right, agreed. I think total is 12k items, so I said 10k but it will be less, true.
Yes, this might be affected with recent freeze..

Its not so impossible amount of work, can be done, its just slight touch ups in most cases.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

For the weapons the problem is only in the handle and all the handles for like items are the same. Maybe this can be handled in a mod. But I'm serious. send me 100 items and I will see how long it takes me to knock them out.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

jayhova wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:19 pm I tell you what, If this is made possible I will do 1000 items (if in fact there are that many) starting with the weapons. I'll start with the weapons right now if we can make this happen in the future.
What other items have cutout apart from weapons? :?

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Clothes and armor