Just some new 2D/3D ideas and proposals

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
MasonFace

Re: Just some new 2D/3D ideas and proposals

Post by MasonFace »

Looks great! I also really enjoy the standard (PBR) shader! With just a little work, it makes textures look sooooooo much better. Keep up the great work!

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

@MasonFace
Yep. Ill try to make several of these DF houses just to make as much elements as possible and than Ill link them here. Than Ill make some tutorials to show other people how to make them easier. :P

Psychomancer

Post by Psychomancer »

Has there been any further progress on this project?

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

@Psychomancer
Not as you may wanted it to be lol :P Maybe someone will continue my work in near future.

This reminded me to share this. This is just a proof of concept sort of thing, but still it is a way that someone else could continue to MOD houses this way for example.
housing replacement.zip
(457 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
This is just a slightly modified and improved house, but it is an interesting upgrade, I think. It is for windows users only test-mod. If someone is interested in doing rest of the houses this way, and you need to be modeler and to have some basic 3D modeling knowledge for this, let me know and I can provide you with tutorial of how to make houses like this - to be in line with the original art and style.

PS - Try to find the MODed house amongst all others :P

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Here's some another thing to think about.

Just a simple tweak of textures and as well shader and voila, we have an onpen view outside. Ofc, this would be even better with shader tweaked to use alpha as mask for in-material cubemap projection of outdoors, made (snapshot) by one reflection probe (on click enter) before player enters the interior. ;)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Oooh, that's so nice... Though it begs the question, where are all the other buildings? :lol:

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

That is freaking amazing VM
Check out my YouTube Channel!

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Cheers guys.

Would love to see that someone will follow my footsteps and try to do full blown MOD for this feature. :)

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

One more case study.
I did the unthinkable, I made a heresy. Photorealistic textures and PBR material, in Linear color mode. :P

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Just a simple tweak of textures and as well shader and voila, we have an open view outside. Ofc, this would be even better with shader tweaked to use alpha as mask for in-material cubemap projection of outdoors, made (snapshot) by one reflection probe (on click enter) before player enters the interior.
I don't know how I missed this before, but I really like this idea. It would be pretty easy to implement, too.

I do see a problem though: The resulting cubemap would be static, which would be fine for probably 80% or more of situations, but if a player goes to a tavern during the day, sleeps 10 hours, then goes to the window, it would still appear to be day through the window... Otherwise, it would work great for shops, banks, etc..

I guess outside weather may pose a slight problem. Snow and rain would not be seen out of the window, but that's not a very big issue in my opinion.

Another way to possibly do this is to just keep rendering the outside scene after the interior is loaded with a secondary camera. This camera will track the player's transform and render what it sees of the outside environment behind the window texture. So basically, the secondary camera that's rendering the outdoor scene gets rendered to the screen first, then the interior scene rendered by the player's camera gets drawn on top of that. This is of course by no means efficient...

A well made mod could implement both versions: "static" and "dynamic", with varying resolutions and other settings to meet individual users' needs.

Also, great looking PBR textures, per usual!