Sudden restart of PC

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
King of Worms

Sudden restart of PC

Post by King of Worms »

Ok, so I had this twice. Once I was watching utube and BAM, black screen and back to POST...
Than it happened on a PC start, before it even loaded windows.

I removed all overclocks (CPU/RAM)

And it seems stable now.

But something is on its way out :X

My guess is either motherboard or power supply.

Any idea?

My systems is placed on cca 1 year old Samsung SSD, so I think disk failure is out of equation.
Than I have two HDDs just as storage, so that should not cause the problem, SWAP file is not placed on em neither.

Thank you ;)

PS: I know my setup is ready to die :X Just placing the RAM sticks in a way it POSTs was hell. My soundcard as well, it holds there on a safetymatch in just about right possition to work.. but damn. I dont want to build new PC now

pango

Re: Sudden restart of PC

Post by pango »

King of Worms wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:14 pm My guess is either motherboard or power supply.
That would have been my guess too
It's hard to be sure without swapping components, though
Last edited by pango on Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Most times I have seen this it tends to be the power supply. However, it's a good idea to inspect your motherboard for bloated caps. If nothing else open it up and blow all the dust off of everything and you PC will run cooler.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Could be the RAM too. Especially if it happens when using a lot of memory. Hope you can sort it. If the PS is old or of unknown origin, just replace it.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Dalebvr

Post by Dalebvr »

I'll agree on the Power supply as the most likely.. It could be either one of the 12v rails is beginning to fail, or the soft on logic was possibly damaged in a power surge. Just had to replace the wife's supply after the UPS partially failed due to repetitive surges.

The most common motherboard issues are cheap smoothing caps, which tend to betray their damage, or mechanical conduction issues caused by thermal stress, and the latter have to cool for a bit before things shrink back into place enough to function. Same goes with CPU thermal issues, and it doesn't sound like you have to let it sit.

Try disconnecting the AC into the power supply and hit the button to discharge everything, then reconnect it and fire it up. If that seems to fix it, you have developing issue in the soft on circuitry.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks guys, I will inspect the motherboard in more detail, I hope its not it - because replacing it makes no sense as all the components are old.
If it looks ok I will just buy a decent power supply, as I can use that in another build, unlike the Motherboard.

I dont think its a RAM, because it crashed after a fresh start and some light browsing, I think utube was 1st page Ive opened. But u never know ofc...

I need to build new pc, just.. Ive hoped I can squeeze one more year from it. It still does its job pretty well.

Also.. last month I need to wait a bit longer for my PC to POST... thats strange.. that might be one of the old HDDs on its way as well.

It all barely holds together :lol:

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Just don't forget to have some reliable backup of your precious data. :-)

If you seek help, you could start by listing your HW configuration. IIRC you have some kind of AMD FX processor, which tend to be quite power-hungry, so a motherboard or power-supply failure is not uncommon among these systems. It might as well be just unstable overclock due to various reasons (hot weather, degradation of PSU, MB, CPU).

Anyway, the only way how to diagnose the problem is to find a reliable way how to reproduce the problem... which might mean pushing the system a bit harder than necessary and risking damage. From your last post I get the impression this is not what you are willing to undertake. Or?

Good luck.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

ifkopifko wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:52 am Just don't forget to have some reliable backup of your precious data. :-)

If you seek help, you could start by listing your HW configuration. IIRC you have some kind of AMD FX processor, which tend to be quite power-hungry, so a motherboard or power-supply failure is not uncommon among these systems. It might as well be just unstable overclock due to various reasons (hot weather, degradation of PSU, MB, CPU).

Anyway, the only way how to diagnose the problem is to find a reliable way how to reproduce the problem... which might mean pushing the system a bit harder than necessary and risking damage. From your last post I get the impression this is not what you are willing to undertake. Or?

Good luck.
Thanks, yes FX8300 overclocked daily with sub 1.4v VCORE
Unstable OC to me manifested by blue screen

So this indeed is something else, and really - its either motherboard or power source.
Both these parts are old and received severe punishment :D

Yes, I will not test my system anymore with a heavy load, I can say it just manifested temporary death and I was able to ressurect it :D
Ive removed all overclocks for now and will decide on what to do next.

I think I have backed everything :)

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

KoW, please do make sure you've backed up everything! Would hate for you to lose your data, or for all of us to lose any of your work on DREAM. :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

mikeprichard wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:08 pm KoW, please do make sure you've backed up everything! Would hate for you to lose your data, or for all of us to lose any of your work on DREAM. :)
Yes Ive created a unity export package of the whole dream mod, its on the ssd and one of the hdds. So if the power source does not burn the whole pc, it should be ok.

But.. I have so many files around. Sounds. Textures. All kinds of stuff. Thats the pool I make dreams come true from 😂 I just hope it holds on.

I think I will buy a power source just on blind. The old one is I guess 10 years old soon. I will consider that a 1st step to new build.

To make complete build I need new motherboard, cpu and ram. Ideally a new case. Rest I can use from old build..

I guess Ryzen 3600(x) and non pcie 4.0 motherboard will do it, 16gb ram..