Daggerfall Unity 0.10.4 Release

Discuss Daggerfall Workshop news articles.
mikeprichard

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.10.4 Release

Post by mikeprichard »

For me, Daggerfall/DFU and Morrowind/OpenMW (both of which projects I actively follow) fill two completely different roles. Daggerfall's main advantage in my mind is the realistic scope and freedom of the game world - it's obviously huge. However, classic's depth across that scope, necessarily, is about a centimeter deep in many ways. Morrowind, on the other hand, suffers from a very unrealistic world in some ways as also seen in the Toddler's influence on Oblivion and Skyrim (a "city" is about 12 shacks and a "continent" is about thirty kilometers across), but I absolutely love the unleveled world of Morrowind (this is another discussion, but while Daggerfall's level-scaling mechanics are at least tolerable, level-scaling in any form in an RPG is a horrible, lazy system that should be killed with fire, buried, dug up, and shot).

Now what would be amazing would be making Daggerfall's existing world unleveled and more customized, similar to Morrowind... but as that will realistically never happen (it would take a team of hundreds probably 1,000 years to truly accomplish), I have both!

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

mikeprichard wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:34 pmNow what would be amazing would be making Daggerfall's existing world unleveled and more customized, similar to Morrowind... but as that will realistically never happen (it would take a team of hundreds probably 1,000 years to truly accomplish), I have both!
It would be hard for sure, but I don't think it would be impossibly hard to make. Not sure the mod system is setup to change that many fundamental things, you might have to do a hard fork. The way to do it is:

-make leveling a function of gaining experience, not raising skills
-give out experience by completing quests and killing monsters
-assign experience rewards to each monster and quest
-give monsters visible levels or make exp gained from kills visible near crosshair
-take out random encounters or give them 0 experience
-get rid of skill requirements for membership so that all chars can join all guilds and do all quests, but continue to restrict services based on rank (rep and skills)
-make all quests one-shot deals that can't be repeated
-double or triple the number of guild quests
-give quests level requirements so that the player can't just do 1 guild's full circuit of quests (which would make him super strong for other guilds' low tier quests and ruin their designed difficulty)
-give quest files the power to dictate what will spawn in its dungeon: monster types, monster levels, mob quantity. Then edit all quest files.
-lock dungeons that are not part of a quest in progress
-once a quest uses a dungeon, it cannot be reused by a future quest
-dungeon state persists, no respawns
-test and tinker the shit out of everything for balance

aaaand that should do it. :shock:

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

You forgot "hand-place loot and enemy spawns and re-design custom maps for 4,232 dungeons"... no big deal; I'll look for a mod release next Tuesday. :lol:

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

mikeprichard wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:24 pmYou forgot "hand-place loot and enemy spawns and re-design custom maps for 4,232 dungeons"... no big deal; I'll look for a mod release next Tuesday. :lol:
Hehe. The world is so large that you wouldn't be able to customize all of it, though you could improve the way it's generated to make it look more custom and furnished. You can more easily address the repeat quests and "scale monster to player" treadmill that people dislike.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:09 am
  • Fix to stop normal shops buying magic items (Hazelnut)
I've just noticed this. Where we're supposed to sell them now? For example, I've a magical saber I'm not interested in, but I'm not able to sell it to blacksmiths, General Stores and Pawn Shops. The guy at the Mages Guild only sells me his stuff...

I'll have to throw it away or I can still make some money out of it? :?

Seems odd that from a magical saber, which is supposed to be better than a regular saber, I cannot make at least the same amount as a regular saber :?

pango

Post by pango »

Firebrand wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:12 pm
I've just noticed this. Where we're supposed to sell them now? For example, I've a magical saber I'm not interested in, but I'm not able to sell it to blacksmiths, General Stores and Pawn Shops. The guy at the Mages Guild only sells me his stuff...
Just checked in classic, and I could sell magic items in normal shops. I reported the question.
Firebrand wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:12 pm Seems odd that from a magical saber, which is supposed to be better than a regular saber, I cannot make at least the same amount as a regular saber :?
Prices for enchanted items in classic were much lower than their non-enchanted counterparts.
I don't know if that was a bug, or if that's because enchanted items would wear much faster...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Firebrand wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:12 pm

I'll have to throw it away or I can still make some money out of it? :?

Seems odd that from a magical saber, which is supposed to be better than a regular saber, I cannot make at least the same amount as a regular saber :?
It was reported as a bug. I didn't check before fixing, but the TG has a fence that's specifically for selling magic items.. so I thought it made sense. I will sort it out when i am back.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

Cool, thanks :)

pango

Post by pango »

Hazelnut wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:28 pm the TG has a fence that's specifically for selling magic items.. so I thought it made sense.
I remember reading something along those lines too...
Except that when you test the classic game itself, results are different from what you've been told :?
Sounds familiar though
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I should have questioned that change a bit more, sorry Hazelnut. Ultimately I'm the one who should confirm this stuff before merging, but I don't always have enough time or focus, and I'm more likely to overlook smaller changes like this. Ah well, easily reverted/refined. :)