Unique monarchs of the Illiac

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
azmanian

Unique monarchs of the Illiac

Post by azmanian »

Of the realms of the Bay, only the 3 kingdoms and a small handful of lordships, counties, baronies and duchies have unique, named rulers. Some of them have detailed stories and history, others a small handful. Most regions don't even have their ruler titles actively assigned to any existing NPC. So perhaps we can start the long process of fleshing them out one by one. One of the easiest to start with is the Barony of Dwynnen.

Dwynnen, where the tide of the Usurper was finally stopped under the leadership of the man who would become the first Baron Othrok. The Othroks are served by the Knighthood of the Raven, the descendents of the knights and men-at-arms ascended to knighthood who stood at the first Baron’s side during the Battle of Wightmoor. The current Baron is Mardkern Othrok, an impressive specimen of a man, though fully middle aged. He is intelligent but more ‘cunning’: he is not a scholar and has little concern for intellectual diversions. His eldest son is Vittir whom, it is rumored, does NOT take after his father in martial aptitude, though he does share his sense of justice, intelligence and shows some promise for politics. His betrothed, Jislyn, second daughter of the Duke of Glenpoint, is proof of this. A marriage into a dukal family is no small thing and a future alliance with Glenpoint is not either.

Thoughts?

l3lessed

Re: Unique monarchs of the Illiac

Post by l3lessed »

I agree. Story and backgrounds need far more fleshing out.

Also, for cities and places without very specific backstories, could a procedural/random system be setup? Depending on the city size, there will automatically be a number of ruler npcs assigned, and those npcs would have random backstories and, possibly, if time and resources permit, quests.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

azmanian

Post by azmanian »

l3lessed wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:18 pm I agree. Story and backgrounds need far more fleshing out.

Also, for cities and places without very specific backstories, could a procedural/random system be setup? Depending on the city size, there will automatically be a number of ruler npcs assigned, and those npcs would have random backstories and, possibly, if time and resources permit, quests.
Yes, at some point a system like that for the smaller cities and towns would be great. Maybe even introduce village aldermans/hetmans/imam npcs for villages as well!

Going back to the monarchs, I found this old thread that has heraldry for every region! They're likely concept art alone as they probably couldn't be directly imported without rework, but it's still a fantastic possible resource if Niketa would ever be interested. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=489

azmanian

Post by azmanian »

Something else I've rediscovered after playing some more is that one of the game's events is the new ruler one that periodically fires.

This event could well be a double edged sword: on the one hand, why would you want to bother putting in fleshed out backstories for the rulers of the regions if the game could just come along and replace them with a random fleshblob? On the other hand, maybe the event could be refined so that it's not so random and arbitrary? Perhaps the rulers could fall from power due to a coup from a powerful vassal, or a popular uprising due to a failed war or simply raising the taxes too damn high? 8-) Or even a combination of different events? A single misstep often leads to a few more before you fall over.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

azmanian wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:13 pm Something else I've rediscovered after playing some more is that one of the game's events is the new ruler one that periodically fires.

This event could well be a double edged sword: on the one hand, why would you want to bother putting in fleshed out backstories for the rulers of the regions if the game could just come along and replace them with a random fleshblob? On the other hand, maybe the event could be refined so that it's not so random and arbitrary? Perhaps the rulers could fall from power due to a coup from a powerful vassal, or a popular uprising due to a failed war or simply raising the taxes too damn high? 8-) Or even a combination of different events? A single misstep often leads to a few more before you fall over.
Maybe you could be that agent of change working for the vassal or the common people to usurp a ruler. I think you could utilize a system similar to how are own back story is created to procedural generate a rulers back story, it would be a little more generic but probably less work over all then hand crafting a back story.