The more difficult Daggerfall mod suggestion

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Midknightprince

The more difficult Daggerfall mod suggestion

Post by Midknightprince »

So currently with some pretty steady gameplay ( albeit I'm a hardcore gamer), you can Max your skills and stats in a week, and most of the enemies are pretty much trivial if you have the right weapons and your using everything right.

I'm thinking maybe lower the skill rate increase, maybe a slider if it can be done, right now level 5 and 6 are like a blip on the radar the way I play, and level 12 is not far off...
Just something I've noticed playing this thing, you can Max your dude out in no time, and there is a lot of fun gameplay fighting stuff at level 5 through 10 ( when the weapon requirements to hit stuff start kicking in).

It would be cool to make this thing harder for those who see fitt....
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Jay_H

Re: The more difficult Daggerfall mod suggestion

Post by Jay_H »

Enemy data is found in https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... yBasics.cs. I'd hope a mod would be able to elevate enemy health, armor, speed, and attack appropriately ;)

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

D
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

pango

Post by pango »

A way to fix this without changing the game itself (because there are many loopholes in Daggerfall) is to do "challenge" builds.
By that I mean, thru character creation and/or rules of conduct, decide not to use some powerful behaviors.
It's up to you to make the game harder :)

@Vondur is currently doing a run where he uses no magicka (only potions), with more builds to come.
Grimmith did a lot of challenge runs: characters without magicka ("nojazz" run), linguist class (all first 9 skills are language skills), not harming humans (Storm Bull run, if I remember correctly)...
Many predefined classes could be considered challenge classes, given how few advantages they have ;)

If you lack ideas for things to try, has anyone started a list of such challenges?
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Basically stop being such minmaxing munchkins! :lol:
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Ahh, that's like when you can beat everyone at a game and someone tells you, "Just play easier!" :lol: There's a real thrill when you give everything you have at a game you love and barely make it through. Dynamic difficulty would do us well! :)

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

pango wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:36 am A way to fix this without changing the game itself (because there are many loopholes in Daggerfall) is to do "challenge" builds.
By that I mean, thru character creation and/or rules of conduct, decide not to use some powerful behaviors.
It's up to you to make the game harder :)

@Vondur is currently doing a run where he uses no magicka (only potions), with more builds to come.
Grimmith did a lot of challenge runs: characters without magicka ("nojazz" run), linguist class (all first 9 skills are language skills), not harming humans (Storm Bull run, if I remember correctly)...
Many predefined classes could be considered challenge classes, given how few advantages they have ;)

If you lack ideas for things to try, has anyone started a list of such challenges?
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

pango

Post by pango »

Ommamar wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:29 pm There are ways to make the game harder but I can also see a desire for someone who wants to make a strong build have a way to adjust the difficulty as they go along.
Unleveled world could help, you'd have to pick fights on your own.
But I'm not sure what's the best way to extend the game once you're so powerful that you no longer fear any enemy. Many solutions look like "flight forwards" to me.
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

Thinking of it, if I had to make Daggerfall more difficult, I'd make enemies more resilient in general, but with more pronounced weaknesses (to elements, types of weapons,...) so as to make combat more tactical.
And build choices would matter more.
-- Charles Goodhart