cant proceed through main quest

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Levethian

Re: cant proceed through main quest

Post by Levethian »

Thank you kindly Interkarma :-). Looking good.

Levethian

Post by Levethian »

Looking less good ohnu!

Began 'Emperor's Courier' again, proceeded as normal until waiting for courier to appear at designated palace.

I was then unable to rest because 'enemies were nearby' - usually this prevents access to the rest-menu, but here I was able to type no. of hours to rest. This happened everywhere, in town, just after travelling etc. Only quitting & re-opening the game fixed this. BUT then 'Emperor's Courier' vanished from my logs.

I went through this process twice.
Eap.

EDIT: Quitting & reloading and quitting & reloading appears to have fixed things... LO, SHE STANDS BEFORE ME THIS VERY INSTANT. Sneaky-weaky courier.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Glad you got there eventually! My strategy for the courier is to arrive a couple of days beforehand and rent a tavern room. Then just rest or do town business until the date and pop in to meet the courier.

While it wouldn't match classic, a personal part of me would like to simply a few of these critical quests to remove arbitrary time limits and other pressures. The Emperor's Courier is a famously problematic quest just by design alone. I don't understand why it was designed this way, when many other main-story quests have no real time pressures.

Finding that balance between keeping things like classic (which is often brutal and unfair) and making things clearer and more stable is a difficult balance to find. There's unlikely to be a point that satisfies absolutely everyone though. :(

Levethian

Post by Levethian »

Completed Daggefall now for the first time! Nearly. Still deciding who to give the Totem to. Does the King of Worms fame-reward work in this version?
I defied the Totem and waited 361 days to see what'd happen, but it just vanished. *shrugs*

There is value to encouraging a player to pursue other quests by enforcing gaps in main-quest progression, I guess, but yes, I agree, it'd be nice to make time-restrictions more forgiving, or certainly easier to track. Maybe blades agents, charged with keeping you on-task, could send letters saying "braaah - u'r gonna totally miss the courier! You don't have time to hike back to x palace from where you are. I've arranged with your local Mages Guild to teleport you for a fee. Emperor ain't paying. watch your calendar in future. sheesh."
Or if she's missed, just go back to the contact that gave you the location and they can be, like "srysly? ffs. Kay. Maybe check at Grimshaft Palace in 88 days. Be there this time, mebbe? Set an alarm or smthn?"

Thank you so so much for your work on this over the years. I feel like my gaming life has come full-circle.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I'm planning on writing a modded Main Quest 2.0 with a much more interactive NPC presence, since DF's main story is so threadbare. I dunno when that'll be though ;)

The King of Worms reward was fixed by DFQFIX, and DFU applies that previous to installation. If for some reason you don't see the reputation increase, that's a bug.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Big grats on finishing the main quest! :)

Levethian

Post by Levethian »

Interkarma wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:26 am Big grats on finishing the main quest! :)
Never seen my quest log empty :mrgreen:
Jay_H wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:07 pm I'm planning on writing a modded Main Quest 2.0 with a much more interactive NPC presence, since DF's main story is so threadbare. I dunno when that'll be though ;)
I look forward to that - That'd be very keenly received, I'm sure!

Girlysprite

Post by Girlysprite »

I know I'm kinda reviving this thread, but I wanted to say that I had a sorta similar issue with the same quest. I got the quest to meet this agent at the 10th of last seed. I had to meet the agent after 56 days. I'm there at the 6th of frostfall. And the 7th. Nothing. Only at the 9th the agent appears. Buuut....that's 59 days later?

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Girlysprite wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:01 pm I know I'm kinda reviving this thread, but I wanted to say that I had a sorta similar issue with the same quest. I got the quest to meet this agent at the 10th of last seed. I had to meet the agent after 56 days. I'm there at the 6th of frostfall. And the 7th. Nothing. Only at the 9th the agent appears. Buuut....that's 59 days later?
Well the hint does say after 56 days so 59 days would fit that criteria. Good information for future reference if someone hasn't waited long enough.