Daggerfall Unity 0.3 General Discussion

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
daggerdude

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.3 General Discussion

Post by daggerdude »

Addendum: when dropping items, the piles were all money chests, except for two out of the 7 i did. sorta seemed off.

also, an auto updater in the program would be nice, eventually. maybe this can extend to mods as well via a dl server? its a big ask, but would be nice. right now the program is 50 megs, but it could be bigger in the future, and having to DL the whole thing every update...

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

daggerdude wrote:Addendum: when dropping items, the piles were all money chests, except for two out of the 7 i did. sorta seemed off.

also, an auto updater in the program would be nice, eventually. maybe this can extend to mods as well via a dl server? its a big ask, but would be nice. right now the program is 50 megs, but it could be bigger in the future, and having to DL the whole thing every update...
First up, a sincere apology. I accidentally edited your post with my reply instead of quoting. I put it back together as best I could. Second time I've done that, and it's very embarrassing. I might need to strip myself of mod powers at this rate. :(
daggerdude wrote: Addendum: when dropping items, the piles were all money chests, except for two out of the 7 i did. sorta seemed off.
It's purely random, and random can be clumpy. You'll get different results every time. Here's a screenshot of when I was stress testing serialization of dropped loot.

https://twitter.com/gav_clayton/status/ ... 5879442432
daggerdude wrote: also, an auto updater in the program would be nice, eventually. maybe this can extend to mods as well via a dl server? its a big ask, but would be nice. right now the program is 50 megs, but it could be bigger in the future, and having to DL the whole thing every update...
Maybe in future when game is more or less complete. No plans to do this at this time though. :) Download size for cloud builds should remain <100MB for lifetime of the project as I see it.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Interkarma wrote:I'll keep it lean for now and see how save/load times are in future. I'll still autosave on rest and transition as originally intended.
I think the biggest wild card will be the mods. My vanilla Morrowind would load in about 20 seconds, but once I added in mods, that time multiplied quite a bit. Not sure to what extent it altered saving... In any case, if that's the route you'll take, I'm for it.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

The resting redraw bug is fixed, as I just tested it. On a different subject, I notice DFU loot is randomized once and then set in stone per instance, whereas vanilla did it a little differently. From what I recall, enemy loot was fixed (in one particular instance, I died after grabbing a mithril daikatana off an orc warrior but before saving. I loaded the game and then went to kill the orc, and it had the same loot), and loot piles were not. I don't know at what point the loot piles were populated with items, though I could only guess it was at the moment of clicking on them.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Good observation. Yep, I do it slightly differently for implementation reasons.

Random loot is populated at level generation time. Monsters are generated at time of death (which is also loot creation time when their body hits the floor).

It wouldn't be too hard to do it one way or the other, it was slightly easier for me to handle this way for now. Could change in the future. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Have you thought of doing a Youtube video to demonstrate how to set up a live build? Some people react differently to text, video, and other media. I was motivated enough to try the setup process myself and see how easy it was, but there are a lot of other projects I've avoided because they sounded too complicated. Maybe you'd be able to grab a few more testers with a video and a tweet to it? (I'd make one myself and give it to you, but my computer really is junk).

EDIT: I just realized you did that five months ago. Hahaha.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

All good. :)

One thing I've learned is that more people are testing than we see on the forums. I have people sending me emails and messages via Twitter as well. The important thing is we're smashing bugs.

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Hi there, I have been playing with the latest live build and it just rocks. Thank you Interkarma and the mod-team. :-)
I have noticed two things I do not consider to be bugs, but rather "work in progress".

1. Regarding the weapon swinging, there is one thing where DFU differs from vanilla DF. In DFU, if you move the mouse diagonally upwards (left to right or right to left), no weapon swing gets triggered, but in original DF, it caused a "weapon forward thrust" just like moving the mouse strictly up. Not sure if it is intentional or not on your side.

Side note: Although I am not a big fan of DF weapon swinging, I have enjoyed it a lot back in the day (like many other very weird combat systems). Having it fully functional is all good. :-) I think there are better systems for RPGs with mouse look and I hope some mod addressing this will emerge in due time. :-)

2. Snowfall looks so much better in DFU when compared with vanilla DF. :-) Looking up and down works ok, however, when you are turning to the sides, the falling snowflake particles are turning with you (with the camera) rather than staying with the “world” and the camera turning inside it. Looks weird… still, not as weird as in original DF. Is this some limitation, or is the current weather effect just a temporary placeholder? Not sure whether rainfall behaves the same way, did not have a chance to look at it.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

ifkopifko wrote:Hi there, I have been playing with the latest live build and it just rocks. Thank you Interkarma and the mod-team. :-)
I have noticed two things I do not consider to be bugs, but rather "work in progress".

1. Regarding the weapon swinging, there is one thing where DFU differs from vanilla DF. In DFU, if you move the mouse diagonally upwards (left to right or right to left), no weapon swing gets triggered, but in original DF, it caused a "weapon forward thrust" just like moving the mouse strictly up. Not sure if it is intentional or not on your side.

Side note: Although I am not a big fan of DF weapon swinging, I have enjoyed it a lot back in the day (like many other very weird combat systems). Having it fully functional is all good. :-) I think there are better systems for RPGs with mouse look and I hope some mod addressing this will emerge in due time. :-)

2. Snowfall looks so much better in DFU when compared with vanilla DF. :-) Looking up and down works ok, however, when you are turning to the sides, the falling snowflake particles are turning with you (with the camera) rather than staying with the “world” and the camera turning inside it. Looks weird… still, not as weird as in original DF. Is this some limitation, or is the current weather effect just a temporary placeholder? Not sure whether rainfall behaves the same way, did not have a chance to look at it.
Thanks for the feedback. :)

1. Thanks for letting me know, I think I was unaware of this. I'll try to make my behaviour match vanilla a bit closer.

2. This one is intentional, and an easy change to make either way. When I put this in, I tried it both ways and found that rotating with the player was (for me at least) somehow nicer. Something about the snow whipping in the opposite direction the player's head was turning, while physically realistic, made me a little motion sick. It's hard to put into words, it just felt more "noisy" somehow. Anyway, I'm happy to put in an option at some point. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

A little off-topic, but after watching the tutorial video, I can say you've got a fantastic voice Interkarma. The whole thing's really well made.