Combat Overhaul Alpha

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
l3lessed

Re: Combat Overhaul Alpha

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks. I'll look into this after 1.0 release. probably download a whole new df unity, and just start from scratch and pull from the code I am putting into the base scripts.

I'm unsure how reflection system would work with combat animation modifications because those are calculating every frame. I think, as long as I could access all the scripts properties and instances and so on, I could turn this into a stand alone mod, but I would have to see if using a reflection system impacts performance.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I think I may have devised a way to simulate parry and recoil system and animations. The coding for the system is largely in, with multi-raycasting stopping on object hit detection.

Now, for animation side. I will hijack the update script in FPSWeapon, which runs the animations files, and adjust animation speed time so it is faster, and at the same time, move the frame index backwards, instead of forwards. I imagine this should look like a recoil, impact. and I believe it should do it on the frame detecting the hit, so it should feel more natural. However, I need to actually code it to see it it executes as I am hoping and thinking.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Now, with all the vulnerabilities you're adding to the player, is there going to be a commensurate increase in attack power? ;) It'd be rough to get mobbed by like 6 enemies and not have any recourse but to run away.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I will be working on the enemy/npcs side after I get the basic player side in. As of now, the main method I plan on giving players some way to handle multiple enemies, without completely running away, will be a good block, parry, and dodge mechanic. I'm working on the recoil animations now, so I can get in some for of a weapon block/parry in next.

However, I do plan on seeing what I can do on the enemy side. My biggest obstacle is going to be the current simplicity of the 2d spite system. It's going to be hard to show players what is happening with using just 2d sprites and the one basic attack animation they have.

However, I want to experiment with some form of enemy stagger, movement slow down, and possibly even timed blocking type system that could paralyze the enemy momentarily.

Ultimately, this mod should make it much harder to take on 6 enemies at once. You should have to run at times, and you should have to plan at times. You try running into a group of 6 hostile enemies, unprepared, and haphazardly, and let's see how well most people, even the strongest, do. Part of the point of this mod, is to discourage the traditional run and gun feel and style of daggerfall. It worked for what they could do in 92, but we can do so much better now. The amount of cpu cycles and memory we have now pretty much makes the coding side pretty limitless, as long as we follow proper coding methods and don't build in memory/coding leaks anywhere on accident.
Last edited by l3lessed on Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Kattle

Post by Kattle »

This may be probably a horrible idea for somethinglike daggerfall but ho about health bars . like the one in minecraft whre its present onyour UI and noto n the head of the NPC you are trying to kill. so when your crosshair is pointing towards the NPC it gives a indication of their health on yur screen and disspaears when your crosshair goes of that sprite.This is a spur of the moment type of solution i gave so i dont expect it to be very helpful . I love what you are doing though. much aprreciated

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Jay_H wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:21 pm Now, with all the vulnerabilities you're adding to the player, is there going to be a commensurate increase in attack power? ;) It'd be rough to get mobbed by like 6 enemies and not have any recourse but to run away.
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Sweet, I'm watching
Check out my YouTube Channel!

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Complete weapon collision is in. Animation quality is comparable to original 2d attack sprite quality. Same images/animation, just in reverse order. If you want to see a video, refer to my second post. I have updated all my media.

I updated the first post items and added two youtube videos to the second post for easy finding for new forum users. They are already embedded in my other discussions.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

One question. Is it possible to do swings with different keybindings instead of just mouse-swing+click?

Example:
Left-down swing ---- A+mouse1
Right-down -----------D+mouse1
Center thrust --------W+mouse1
Down-chop -----------X+mouse1
etc.

Mouse1 click -light attack
Mouse1 click+hold heavy attack

Depending of light-heavy / angle -to make different roll calculations (AC, HIT, EVADE etc)?

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Directional attacking based on movement keys is in.

I do not have a new mouse based system setup yet. I plan on added a directional mouse based system, similar to mordhau, but that will be after get base features in. Currently, movement based direction will work.

Currently, it is exactly how you show it in your post.

Already finding melee combat concepts showing up. As an example, I can now keep my distance with a long ass claymore, depend on its slower speed, stay out of the enemies threat zone, and then do a forward thrust and use the continual hit detection to move into hit range and hope I timed it properly to not get hit by him. Feel like I need to actually place myself based on my weapons stats and current attack animation choice.