Paper Doll items

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
jayhova

Re: Paper Doll items

Post by jayhova »

Is it possible to get a semi-official word on this from Interkarma?

The thought in my head was that you could do it in one of two ways. Either have an extended name for the display version of the pic like 123qwe.gif and 123qwe_dsp.gif or have the same name but a seperate folder. Or possibly both to avoid confusion. By default things would work as they do now unless there was a display version available.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

If I understand what you're asking, this wouldn't be possible at this time. The paper doll image is reused as the inventory icon, which is why you can see the parts cut away for hands, etc. At this time, DFU's inventory simply reproduces classic and shares the images this way. This was no doubt a very good way to save on texture memory back in the day.

With some work in the modding framework, it could become possible later using a secondary image dictionary for item textures to be shown uniquely in inventory lists instead of the cutaway overlay version. These secondary images could be imported and linked using filename in a similar way to other image replacements.

I can't say if that feature will be added any time soon though, as we're all volunteers and I can't speak for someone else's time. If TheLacus feels like this is something he would like to build, it would not be affected by the feature freeze.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Thank you for your input.

Zomgmeister

Post by Zomgmeister »

Got a different question on related matter. How the game knows how to position items on paper doll? For example, I can make a new texture for a right-handed katana, which at the moment does not look good, being displayed in perspective. I can do cutout on the handle, sure, but how can I be sure that the game will put this new texture in right hand and not on head or something?

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:09 pm If I understand what you're asking, this wouldn't be possible at this time. The paper doll image is reused as the inventory icon, which is why you can see the parts cut away for hands, etc. At this time, DFU's inventory simply reproduces classic and shares the images this way. This was no doubt a very good way to save on texture memory back in the day.

With some work in the modding framework, it could become possible later using a secondary image dictionary for item textures to be shown uniquely in inventory lists instead of the cutaway overlay version. These secondary images could be imported and linked using filename in a similar way to other image replacements.

I can't say if that feature will be added any time soon though, as we're all volunteers and I can't speak for someone else's time. If TheLacus feels like this is something he would like to build, it would not be affected by the feature freeze.
I wouldn't exclude the use of a mask instead of a distinct but almost identical texture. The paperdoll already supports masking, so introducing the ability, if not already there, to provide a mask for any item might be better than the alternative, at least for memory usage.
Zomgmeister wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:15 pm Got a different question on related matter. How the game knows how to position items on paper doll? For example, I can make a new texture for a right-handed katana, which at the moment does not look good, being displayed in perspective. I can do cutout on the handle, sure, but how can I be sure that the game will put this new texture in right hand and not on head or something?
An item image is the combination of texture and meta data; mods can override both of them. See the documentation for details. ;)

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Okay. What form would assets need to be in? We have the original files would you just need the difference in the two files like a layer with just the patched portion or would it be better to overlay a whole image over the image with the cutout? Mind you I am not suited to do any of the technical work so I will just be making new replacement images.

I'm still questioning whether or not it would not be a good idea to allow separate images for display on and off the paper doll. This would allow the use of images like just the top of the armor for armor worn under clothing. I seems like it would be useful to allow modders to have control of how items appear the paper doll as well as in the inventory.