New install issues

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
jayhova

New install issues

Post by jayhova »

So I built a machine for a customer and wanted to include Daggerfall. I ran into a couple of issues. The first issue was that my out of the box experience on a 4K monitor was to have an initial screen that was too small to read. It took up 1/4 of the screen. When I tried to full screen the game I got the task bar at the bottom. Having the taskbar on screen was problematic as it created problems with scaling. That is to say that I was forced to click below the visible UI portions of the screen in order to be able to click on the active portion of the screen. This got worse as I got lower. It seems like the settings screen is offset by the height of the task bar. The visible area shrinks the accommodate the task bar but the clickable portion does not rescale.

The second issue is the weapon swinging. This is my second install that required me to change the weapon swing trigger way down. There were two problems with this. First was that I would type the new number in. As I would do so the new entry would be yellow. When I hit 'enter', my expectation was that it would turn the numbers I entered white and take me out of editing mode, as though my changes were accepted. Of course when I exited the screen the changes stuck but I didn't get that 'type a number, hit enter, changes accepted' feeling. Yes, this is UI nitpicking, but as I was doing it, it was frustrating. The second problem is the lack of the ability to make small changes and see what effect they have without restarting the game. I know this is a known issue, but one that can be easily forgotten once you get everything working as you like. If there was a way to test the changes you made without having to start the game, then exit, that would be nice.
Last edited by jayhova on Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Interkarma

Re: New install issues

Post by Interkarma »

I can't say why the fullscreen option was still allowing the taskbar to display, that seems unusual if fullscreen was selected. From next version there will be an ExclusiveFullscreen option available in settings.ini that should help with this.

We'll eventually create an in-game settings menu for all the stuff that can be changed on the fly. Some of it (like mods and certain graphical options) will continue to require the startup environment to configure though.

TheLacus

Re: New install issues

Post by TheLacus »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:12 pm I can't say why the fullscreen option was still allowing the taskbar to display, that seems unusual if fullscreen was selected. From next version there will be an ExclusiveFullscreen option available in settings.ini that should help with this.

We'll eventually create an in-game settings menu for all the stuff that can be changed on the fly. Some of it (like mods and certain graphical options) will continue to require the startup environment to configure though.
I actually have been working on support for live changes to mod settings. It is based on a callback (Action<ModSettingsChange> ApplyChangedSettingsCallback) which can used by mods to receive a notification on settings changes, with informations on specific affected options (i.e. bool ModSettingsChange.HasChanged(string section, string key), so performance heavy options are applied only if effectively changed). This would be entirely optional and must be enabled by mod authors. I was thinking to add this feature with a console command that open a UI window for the time being, but if you have already a better option i can push it to a branch right now.