Increasing Weapon Animation Frames/Quality

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
MasonFace

Re: Increasing Weapon Animation Frames/Quality

Post by MasonFace »

Butterflow is another good option for frame interpolation.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

MasonFace wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:54 pm Butterflow is another good option for frame interpolation.
I've found this cool channel that use Butterflow to interpolate Satellite Images to 60 fps :shock: :shock: :shock:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6Mlo4 ... /playlists

Here's an example of the output:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lPsA8J3U0Q

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I've thought about that daggerdude. Was thinking about doing it with the block mechanism and animations.

You just create a new animation frame using the same image file and you just change the positioning via offset, correct?

I was going to come back around to this once array raycasting was in and blocking coding and mechanisms were in. Until then, there is no need for me to invest any heavy time into this.

I would love more experienced artist to get 3d models in, but until then I will code new frames in using the offset and frame numbers to create better animations and parry/recoil animations.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

l3lessed wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:49 pm I've thought about that daggerdude. Was thinking about doing it with the block mechanism and animations.

You just create a new animation frame using the same image file and you just change the positioning via offset, correct?

I was going to come back around to this once array raycasting was in and blocking coding and mechanisms were in. Until then, there is no need for me to invest any heavy time into this.

I would love more experienced artist to get 3d models in, but until then I will code new frames in using the offset and frame numbers to create better animations and parry/recoil animations.
In the doom engine one can reference the frame number and how many tics to play that particular frame, and then assign special functions to it. so for instance...

PISG (4 letter designator used by sprites) A (frame a) 4 (4 tics) Offset(0,32) (X,Y - Y is set at 32 to match with the HUD)

So a typical line of code would look like "PISG A 4 Offset(0,32)"
Another place to look is .CON coding used by the build engine which is written in the C programming language and has IF/AND/OR ect. situations that cause weapon bobbing, frames to animate, weapon recoil, muzzle blasts, ect.

IF you used EXACTLY the same frames, you could add additional "frames" at different offsets theoretically negating the need for new frames entirely while still making the game look MUCH better.

If there were a way to implement frame interpolation in weapon animations this game would look amazing. Even if we didn't have parrying and blocking and such. The only thing you would really need are some shield sprites for the blocking.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I've largely figured it out now. The last thing I need to figure out, is how to add frames between the default animation sprites. Because of the animations being of melee weapons with large arcs, its harder to use a single sprite without graphical/lighting mismatches showing that aren't as noticeable in the original animation sprites, in my opinion.

Weaponbasics.cs has the animations listed clearly by weapon type and attack type, with a build in offset function and # of frames option. It is applied to the full animation/each sprite when called.

I need to find a way to insert offset frames between each render frame to at the start, double the frames in the animation and smooth it out more. Everything else, I think I have sorted out. I was tired of messing with the boring offset raytrace coding, so I broke down the animation system and came up with this nifty trick to simulate movement animations of the equipped weapon.

Any feedback on the look of the weapon bob, let me know.

use the longest stab sprite for the default idle sprite, with a right offset. This allows me to hide the bottom of the stab sprite off screen. When the player is moving and not attacking, it then begins a looped number based if then trigger to slowly offset the x,y of the sprite using random int generator. Using a random int generator insures the animation looks more natural, and not like a looped gif or image. When the offset goes over a set number, it begins a minus loop, until it goes below 0, then it adds again, on and on.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Lovely!

Slasonic

Post by Slasonic »

l3lessed wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:22 am I need to find a way to insert offset frames between each render frame to at the start, double the frames in the animation and smooth it out more. Everything else, I think I have sorted out. I was tired of messing with the boring offset raytrace coding, so I broke down the animation system and came up with this nifty trick to simulate movement animations of the equipped weapon.

About that bobbing, what if you could use that nifty trick you've just came up with for the attack animation? Like just move and spin the weapon around just to simulate the movement of attack? (Not sure if this is understandable... Sorry...) Well, at least some weapons, fists included, could use this type of animation.

Anyway, this is great! I can't wait to use this mod when it's complete. =)
"Imagination is power, yet useless if not done properly."
- Some Random Word, [Insert Date Here]

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

l3lessed wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:22 am

I love it :)

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Looky, Looky. Determination and some basic ingenuity can pay off. This is just a technical first attempt, so there is frame stepping. I show the issue off on purpose with some animations. This can be fixed easily with some number adjustments and y coordinate adjustments for the offsets.

Outside the frame stepping, it should match 60 fps. It is running 12 offset frames for each animation frame. There are 5 animation frames. 5 * 12 = 60 frame updates.

Thoughts, feedback, what ya think?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Welp, I've seen it for myself :lol: Well done. Another big step into the future for Daggerfall.