Trees Of Daggerfall [PERFORMANCE PROBLEM/SOLUTIONS]

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
MasonFace

Re: Trees Of Daggerfall [PERFORMANCE PROBLEM/SOLUTIONS]

Post by MasonFace »

Awesome work, Hazelnut!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Excellent. I'd love to see this on my own computer when it's optimized.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Thanks guys, I have to credit TheLacus for his injection code though. It was quite easy to do this once I figured out what did what. For reference, this is as close as you can get to the batched billboards with the Speed Trees disabled. As you can see, they are pretty small. Only the silhouette and approximate size needs to be matched really VMBlast, so don't feel you have to recreate the DF tree art verbatim.
Attachments
closestBatch.png
closestBatch.png (682.29 KiB) Viewed 2367 times
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Awesome progress!!

I think the agressive LOD is a remnant from the past where VMBlast tryed everything to make it work faster.

I believe it can be scaled to something less intrusive indeed

Great job guys!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Thanks KoW. I found an hour tonight in between packing to add some refinement and optimisations to the prototype. (blame my brain, it keeps thinking of solutions to this - shhh brain for godssake! :lol:) Anyway am going to make a test build availiable to VMBlast to use while I'm away.

Actually fixed a bug with the mesh replacement code too - it changes the placement of nature objects because it uses numbers from the random sequence and doesn't restore the state. It doesn't really matter too much since they're positoned procedurally, but I like the fact that now it just replaces 1:1 and it means the terrain layouts wont change as they move from billboards to meshes.

There's potentially more optimisations but I will wait and see how VMBlast gets on with it. Looking forward to playing with a full trees mod in the near-ish future! 8-)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Great job, this will be something man!!
I love my sprites, but 3D trees are great I must admit.

I think for distant sprites we can use just the vanila nature sprites, its so distant nothing fancy is needed and it will save some resources doing it this way maybe.

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

This is really awesome job! :shock:

It works pretty great on my machine. With terrain distance set to 4 and all the settings cranked up, it gives about 60fps.

PS -The abrupt switch between the tree LODs(snapping) is due to my previous attempts of optimizations. Ive deleted all the LODs except the highest one and billboards. You can add as much LODs in between as you like.

CONGRATS @Hazelnut!!! :D

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Outstanding! :D :D :D

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I love you. This with the grass mod, sky mod, and lighting mods makes daggerfall so alive and immersive. The 2d trees are great for classic lovers, but I am all about dragging this game into 2019 one mod at a time.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

So, VMBlast, are you all fired up and working on more trees now? I hope so, I think this mod is very cool and looking forward to seeing all of the bay converted.

Will it be possible to have collision with the non-location models or is there an issue there?