[MOD] Realtime Reflections

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Nystul

Re: Investigations on Realtime Reflections in Unity

Post by Nystul »

this starts to get creepy - some interiors (almost) look better than similar environments in skyrim now
lights+shadows+deferred planar reflections (with light probe reflections), light color adjusted to match the light source color...
@interkarma: btw. lights for torches are "spawned" at floor level. this causes lower levels to get the light reflections from torches in the levels from above (easy fix is to move the lights to their correct position)

Xaphir

Post by Xaphir »

Nystul wrote:this starts to get creepy - some interiors (almost) look better than similar environments in skyrim now
lights+shadows+deferred planar reflections (with light probe reflections), light color adjusted to match the light source color...
Just wait till the textures are upgraded. That plus the lighting; will be unbelievable.
Nystul wrote:@interkarma: btw. lights for torchs are "spawned" at floor level. this causes lower levels to get the light reflections from torches in the levels from above (easy fix is to move the lights to their correct position)
I was amazed at how fast Interkarma was able to get lighting locations moved to the game scene's light sources.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Wow, Nystul. That looks so good.

Thanks for the heads up on light position. My first pass was just to drop lights at origin of sprite, obviously this needs a little tuning. I'll issue a fix for torches soon.

Arl

Post by Arl »

Oh my... this is amazing.

I really like those pixilated textures with lights/shadows/reflections, a good combination of environment realism with classic feel.
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I think it would be nice to have different light sources with different color and intensity also - torches should be less intensive than lamps, candles less intensive than torches.
from my experiments (when manually changing intensity, light color and placement) it gives another level of realism (the screenshot was manually tuned).
Best way would be to spawn each light with the correct settings. I will see if I manage to do this by script.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

That's a great idea Nystul, and very doable.

I'm about to issue a fix for the torch light alignment. You could use the same method (check billboard index) to determine if this light was spawned on top of a candle, torch, lantern, etc. and adjust light properties appropriately. All light billboards are in TEXTURE.210 for reference.

Edit: Changes are up now. I also put in a quick fix to shrink light radius of candles to one-third that of other lights. You could use the same general principle to change colours or use a different prefab entirely.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

thanks! this is perfect. I will tune it in my ReflectionsMod branch. I am finishing the current iteration on it and do a pull request. Should only be a few days till I am ready. Afterwards I will dive into the location automap ;)

edit: ups didn't intend to cause an explosion^^

edit2: light color settings do add a lot of atmosphere to many interiors!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Guild memo:
After the unfortunate incident with Gwynara Copperton, juggling arcane orbs is no longer permitted in the guildhall rec room.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Interkarma wrote:Guild memo:
After the unfortunate incident with Gwynara Copperton, juggling arcane orbs is no longer permitted in the guildhall rec room.
haha :D :D :D

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I think I am almost ready for the pull-request for the updated ReflectionsMod - any concerns from your side?
The new light properties will look really good - not all lights are tuned for the moment, but I suggest that we tune the missing ones whenever we come across a light that needs tuning. Same goes for reflective floor textures that don't look good. Especially the dungeon floor textures could need another iteration...