Player sprite casts shadows

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
King of Worms

Player sprite casts shadows

Post by King of Worms »

"One day I was lurking in a dungeons, and a skeleton was behind me, and something cast spell from behind to the skeleton. The skeletons shadow was casted on the wall in front of me, and for the moment I thought its my own shadow. And omg, it struck me"

It would be absolutelly KICKASS if the generic Humanoid Enemy (the one which can use dagger/sword, cast spells and shoot arrows - so basically everything player can do) was invisibly rendered at the place where the player camera is located. It would only interact with light sources, so it would actually cast shadows, when you go around lights! Or when sun is behind you.. etc etc etc

And believe me, the low framerate animations of these sprites are absolutely not a problem! I saw it in that dungeon. CONTRARY, it makes u feel like you are the same kind of avatar as the rest of the creatures around you. It surreal. And its possible. And its insane. Please... PLEASE!!! It would be so much immersive.

MORE ADVANCED SPECS:

The sprite used DO NOT HAVE TO CHANGE according to the player gender.
IT SHOULD CHANGE according to the weapon he uses.
We have lots of options to pick from, let me narrow it down

SUITABLE CANDIDATE:
475 - Long sword, Casting with held sword, Bow
485 - Staff, Casting with held staff
489 - Dagger, Casting with held dagger, Bow

I picked these, because they share same appearance.

In the shadow, it doesnt matter if the character helds Long, medium or short sword (dagger), it just needs to have something resembling it in its hands. But its possible to change the sprite from long sword to dagger with the above mentioned selection.

We can combine these sprite sets together, so when you switch the weapon from dagger to staff, the sprite changes accordingly (489 to 485)

Than there are the AXE and HAMMER sprite sets, Ive picked the most neutral looking ones
478 - hammer, bow
488 - axe, bow

Combining all these sprite sets we get:
Dagger, Long sword, Medium sword (each with a casting animations holding this weapon)
Staff (with a casting animation holding the staff)
Hammer
Axe
Bow

Quite ok set if you ask me.

Jumping can be made simple, just move the sprite up
Crouch can be the walking set with height reduced to 50% (I can create it)

OR

Just use a 3d model and animate it so it can do all these movements.

I can help with navigation thru the sprite archive, adjusting the animations, adjusting the sprites to have all same height, putting the sets together etc etc

MaxiM

Re: Player sprite casts shadows

Post by MaxiM »

/signed

Immersion aside, that would also have am added bonus of scaring the bejeezus out of you from time to time :D
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.”

~ George Bernard Shaw

greenlight

Post by greenlight »

I like the idea a lot, and it should be rather simple to implement. A most basic version could just use a generic humanoid sprite, regardless of which weapon/shield the player is wielding.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Exactly!!

Just take the model which has longsword, casting and bow animations and you have basically every action covered.

I think the shadow of a sword and dagger is very similar. So what? Also the axe shadow will be similar. Nobody will notice that.

475 is the best candidate.

I think this is simple mod really..