More Local quest targets

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
greenlight

More Local quest targets

Post by greenlight »

In classic Daggerfall, quest locations like towns or dungeons are randomly selected from those within the current region. Thus for many simple quests (e.g. retrieve object X from a dungeon, give friend A this letter,...) you often have to travel for several days to reach the target location. It would seem more realistic to me that for many quests, the target location is within a certain radius of the NPC offering the quest.

For a possible implementation, a list of all places and their coordinates could be made. For different quests, different maximum distances can be set, so only target locations up to <distance> from the player can be chosen. If no (or less than n) possible targets are available, the selection could either be re-done with a larger search radius, or just fall back to the classic behaviour and select from all suitable locations in the region.

I have not seen this suggestion elsewhere, but since I am not familiar with the source code of DFU and the quest generation, I don't know how difficult this would be to implement. Any comments on this?