September Builds 0.10.6

Discuss Daggerfall Workshop news articles.
King of Worms

Re: September Builds 0.10.6

Post by King of Worms »

Im not sure where to post this, its about the new exclusive fullscreen option we have now.

1st ) its great, it adds about 10% performance in a GPU limited situations (I go from 55 to 59fps)
2nd) the thing I very much DISLIKE about it is the fact, that when you drop below 60 fps (lets say 59) it rounds the fps down to 1/2 so you get 30fps instead.

Can this part of the feature be removed please? Its just so bad... dont round the fps to 30 when you drop one frame bellow 60 please, it makes this awesome feature unusable.

Thank you for considering it.

pango

Post by pango »

Do you have vsync on?
Either in Daggerfall Unity or in your driver settings, I'm not sure which one is relevant in fullscreen...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

yabay

Post by yabay »

Last edited by yabay on Sat May 29, 2021 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

pango wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:27 pm Do you have vsync on?
Either in Daggerfall Unity or in your driver settings, I'm not sure which one is relevant in fullscreen...
I had it on in drivers and the game.

Changing it to "adaptive" in drivers got rid of the 30hz lock... but ofc it turns vsync off if u drop below 60fps..

Well I will test it some more

d999

Post by d999 »

I like to read books again.
Thanks
Last edited by d999 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

greenlight

Post by greenlight »

Amazing work, I am happily roaming dungeons (and the wilderness), and I am pleased that there are much less bugs already than in the original game. And jet it has just entered alpha stage :lol:

Two minor issues I've noticed:
A female (named) NPC walking in a village had a male sprite, but in the dialogue window the portrait was shown correctly. Unfortunately I don't remember the exact NPC. I don't know if this is a sigular issue, or if this happens regularly.

The game often crashes on exit (OS: Win7 64 bit).

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

Hi

I wonder if this is a bug?
My downloaded Font isn't working.

I can't find the thread now but someone made a Font to match DF original.
I'm not sure what the title of that thread was, my download from the forums here is just "FONT0003-SDF.zip"

I have the SDF font enabled in the options menu and the font is extracted to the StreamingAssets/Font directory.

Edit: it's called Daggerfont, thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1538&hilit=font
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Fonts have changed from this release, please read the linked article. :)

https://www.dfworkshop.net/september-builds-0-10-6/

I’ll post an updated article soon showing how to create new fonts and mod them in-game. Any old font mods will no longer work in DFU.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

jman0war wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:15 am Hi

I wonder if this is a bug?
My downloaded Font isn't working.

I can't find the thread now but someone made a Font to match DF original.
I'm not sure what the title of that thread was, my download from the forums here is just "FONT0003-SDF.zip"

I have the SDF font enabled in the options menu and the font is extracted to the StreamingAssets/Font directory.

Edit: it's called Daggerfont, thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1538&hilit=font
That's me. That particular font was customized to compensate for some of the short comings of the previous SDF font implementation. As Interkarma has said the SDF format did not scale correctly nor did it create characters the correct height. This was due to the 'box' that each glyph was presented in. Each of these boxes took up the space of the original bitmapped glyph. Unfortunately, spacing between characters was incorporated into the characters themselves (from my understanding) meaning that there was a column of blank pixels on the right side of each glyph. This allowed text in classic to be displayed by simply butting the characters together like wooden blocks with no need to worry about character spacing. This created a huge difficulty when trying to preserve classic formatting with scalable fonts. With a modern application text would be stored as simple and unformatted and the application would then format it on the fly or use a format template to display the text. With classic text formatting was baked in and often poorly.

The pre-alpha implementation of SDF fonts was to fill the 'baked in' boxes that made up the classic implementation of character positioning and fill them with SDF glyphs. The glyphs filled the whole box including the area made to represent spacing and then rely on the padding around the rendered characters to provide spacing. I attempted to mitigate the problem by adding the spacing back and placing a small dot after the space. As you might suspect this is a less than Ideal solution.

I'm more than happy to redo my font to accommodate the new system. If and when someone tells me how.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

pango

Post by pango »

Looks like Zaric Zhakaron is enjoying recent releases, thanks for the advertisement :)

(highlighting Warm Ashes mod too)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart