How to build a mod?

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Sandman

How to build a mod?

Post by Sandman »

Hello to everyone!

I edited some script files from DFTFU assets : "BuildingNames.cs", "NameHelper.cs" and "NameGen.txt" - but I can't get that to work in the game. In Unity Editor all changes work perfect(I mean if to launch the game from Editor), but after a mod is built and enabled nothing changes in the game. In Mod Builder I have added 3 files mentioned above, and this files have original path in assets.
DFUnity ver.: 0.10.6.
DFTFU version: recent from GitHub.
Unity ver.: 2018.2.21f1.
So what am I doing wrong?
Thank you in advance for your help.

l3lessed

Re: How to build a mod?

Post by l3lessed »

I could be wrong, but I do not think mod builder is supposed to work with the base script files. Replacing the base script files with a mod built script file, I imagine, would not work. Instead, the "mod" should be built right into the engine and game itself, since it is coding directly into the base script files.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

The Lacus will know, let him know about this thread if he doesnt pop up here after some time ;)

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

I confirm that you can't replace C# source files; you can interact with the public API instead. Please read the modding documentation, if there is something you don't understand i'm happy to clarify. ;)

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

I'm new in coding and that's why I can understand nothing from "Mod Features" page. And what " interact with the public API" means? :|

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Sandman wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:59 pm I'm new in coding and that's why I can understand nothing from "Mod Features" page. And what " interact with the public API" means? :|
There are tutorials available. You can access them from the documentation page i directed you, but here is a direct link. Good luck. :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Can I just say thanks for all of the mod enablement work you do TheLacus. Honestly it's absolutely fantastic stuff and very high quality. The project is very lucky to have you and the expanding list of mods avaliable on the Nexus is largely down to your hard work behind the scenes. Bit of a random thread, but I just wanted to say this and make sure you know that you're appreciated.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

pango

Post by pango »

I concur, backend work is not as visible, but just as essential :)
Thanks TheLacus!
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Thank you, it's great to see how far this project has come thanks to the efforts of all the people involved. :)