KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
AmmoniumDichromate

Re: KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

Post by AmmoniumDichromate »

Adrinus wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:51 pm I like it better than the last two, but try to match the color of the original lighting: more orange-ish than that.
Alright, here's another quick test tender with a tad more orange:
https://i.imgur.com/zLGGruy.png

I think the more yellowy one looks a tad more accurate in a side-by-side comparison with the original, but it's a pretty subtle difference either way.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Notice the lower roll of the paper is now basically blending with the flat middle part of the paper. There was more distinct separation between the two in previous posts. Also, check how this part is done in the original.

AmmoniumDichromate

King of Worms wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:55 am Notice the lower roll of the paper is now basically blending with the flat middle part of the paper. There was more distinct separation between the two in previous posts. Also, check how this part is done in the original.
That was caused by me moving the light source above the candle's flame to help the scroll cast a better shadow on the left side of the desk, but it also caused the scene's lighting be a tad too even in places. I can push it back down with a few adjustments, but the candle will once again look overexposed and there seems to be no good way to fix that in my experiments.
The original menu isn't a terribly useful reference when it comes to lighting, it's quite difficult to copy the weird quirks of old raster lighting in a physical based renderer. Maybe I'd have better luck using a 1996 version of 3DS Max? : )

Here's yet another test render with your suggestions taken into account:
https://i.imgur.com/FZc6UBu.png

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

AmmoniumDichromate wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:57 am I can push it back down with a few adjustments, but the candle will once again look overexposed and there seems to be no good way to fix that in my experiments.
https://i.imgur.com/FZc6UBu.png
Render both. Then cut the candle from the darker one and overlay it on the over-exposed candle. Like, as an image i mean.

As for the canvas's texture: the underside of the scroll is theoretical (we can't see it from that shot). Go nuts with a thicker "scroll", and give it some sharp, long "bumps" to act as creases. It's fine if the bottom of the scroll sticks into the desk.

EDIT: just thought of it, maybe you could look into ummm... bumpmapping? Theres a thing like a texture you can put on 3d models to give them little bumps and texture with lighting...

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Yea I think the scroll needs some slight roughness to it, normal map, bumpmap, roughness shader, whatever u call it.

AmmoniumDichromate

Adrinus wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:19 am
Render both. Then cut the candle from the darker one and overlay it on the over-exposed candle. Like, as an image i mean.

As for the canvas's texture: the underside of the scroll is theoretical (we can't see it from that shot). Go nuts with a thicker "scroll", and give it some sharp, long "bumps" to act as creases. It's fine if the bottom of the scroll sticks into the desk.

EDIT: just thought of it, maybe you could look into ummm... bumpmapping? Theres a thing like a texture you can put on 3d models to give them little bumps and texture with lighting...

I was hoping to avoid 2D manipulations, if all the changes are purely to the scene than it can easily be animated, a flickering candle light would look pretty neat and would be fairly easy to do. I can certainly give that suggestion a try though.

I actually cannot add any thickness to the scroll as the torn edges of the scroll aren't a result of mesh geometry, instead it's the result of an alpha texture. If you're suggesting I crumple the paper, I'll probably do that through a displacement map.

The table is bumpmapped, I didn't do the scroll because in my experience bumpmapping something that doesn't have reflective properties usually ends up with almost unnoticeable results, unless things are in motion and the light source is moving around in the scene.

I was thinking of adding some smudges and fingerprints to the potion bottles and candle holder. That would certainly help toward making it a bit more photorealistic. I''ll experiment for a few days and get back to y'all later, staring to lose a bit of steam here.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

You did a great job, have a pause and than have another look at it :)
Having this screen animated in a short looping video would be absolutely kick ass!

In the meanwhile:

Phreedreke did marvelous job on upscaling the videos we have been missing. Now we have a complete set of ALL videos remastered.
It took a while to have everything in the correct aspect ratios be he hauled thru!!

There are 2 videos which are made from a still images transitions, those we remade in another way. He provided the still images and Ive made the new videos from them, creating the transitions in Vegas and getting rid of some very strange brown letterboxing one of the original vid had. Now its all much more detailed and smooth. These videos ended up cca 4 times longer than originals and look great IMHO. As a background music I used unused tracks from Daggerfall, in a version provided by ByteMixer.

MasonFace created the short prelude video to the FMW intro - that short clip with subtitles "imperial pallace" etc..

Now I hope Pango will join the efforts and use his sound cleaning expertise to take the sound to the better standards. I already contacted him.

So... it seems we will have all the 16 animations from the game in high res sound and video after all!

Heres the part of the thread where this was happening if anyone is interrested
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1642&start=500

And this is on my disk atm :) All the videos
getting there.jpg
getting there.jpg (93.01 KiB) Viewed 957 times

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

King of Worms wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:28 pm So... it seems we will have all the 16 animations from the game in high res sound and video after all!
Huzzah! I was hoping for these to get done some time, I hope Pango will do the sound work: his work on the intro videos was really good.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

He did, I already have the sounds :)

Need to check everything and swap the sound now. Also I will normalize volume on some files which were too loud by default. Also some bug fixes were done, now its hopefully all good.

The voiceovers for the two dreams are really bad tho, original and cleaned... I think I will just make the few words appear as a text and keep the new music I added there.

Adrinus

Post by Adrinus »

I'm gonna hate myself forever for suggesting this, but I suppose I could give narration a shot. That said, I feel like this part will always be better if narrated by a british fellow with a deep voice.