Trees Of Daggerfall [PERFORMANCE PROBLEM/SOLUTIONS]

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Jay_H

Re: Trees Of Daggerfall [PERFORMANCE PROBLEM/SOLUTIONS]

Post by Jay_H »

Tedious Travel is going to become really tedious if the trees are solid :lol:

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Or more like Pinball Travel... :lol:
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Put the trees and player on different layers. When tedious fast travel is activated, disable the physics interactions between player/trees. When fast travel is off, turn the collision detection between them back on. Check for collisions. If player is colliding with a tree, translate the player forward a 1/2 meter or so and check again. Repeat until free of collisions.

But definitely play a pinball "ding" sound every time it detects a collision. :lol:

Kattle

Post by Kattle »

We need roads ASAP gang

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Yeah that's something I'm thinking about, but not yet at the do-it stage. Even then though, tedious travel would need updating to follow them.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

Hazelnut wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:41 pm So, VMBlast, are you all fired up and working on more trees now? I hope so, I think this mod is very cool and looking forward to seeing all of the bay converted.

Will it be possible to have collision with the non-location models or is there an issue there?
It is incredible job that -JUST WORKS- :D

I am stoked, but building trees/foliage is long process, especially when you paint all the textures for them. For now Ill try to do winter version of the temperate climate, just to round everything up.

There is one problem with the winter version and maybe you could check it out, while on the same theme (trees). At least up until now, when I tried to replace 3D trees for the winter set (Ive done couple of them for testing purposes), winter trees have been replaces everywhere but in the places of interested (eg cities). So it is weird, you go outside of the walls and there are 3D trees, but go back in, there is just an old graphics. For some reason trees are not getting replaced in the places of origin for the winter set.

Collision are added (from the start), so basically all the trees and assets have them. You just need to switch them on/off in code. Great thing with 3D trees is because they have collisions, you can climb most of them. :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I wonder if this will allow us to make the jungle winter trees actually covered with snow. As it is now, the summer and winter variants are the same in the jungle.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Does it snow in the Jungle? Not an expert, but I didn't imagine it would...

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

VMblast wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:35 am
Hazelnut wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:41 pm So, VMBlast, are you all fired up and working on more trees now? I hope so, I think this mod is very cool and looking forward to seeing all of the bay converted.

Will it be possible to have collision with the non-location models or is there an issue there?
It is incredible job that -JUST WORKS- :D

I am stoked, but building trees/foliage is long process, especially when you paint all the textures for them. For now Ill try to do winter version of the temperate climate, just to round everything up.

There is one problem with the winter version and maybe you could check it out, while on the same theme (trees). At least up until now, when I tried to replace 3D trees for the winter set (Ive done couple of them for testing purposes), winter trees have been replaces everywhere but in the places of interested (eg cities). So it is weird, you go outside of the walls and there are 3D trees, but go back in, there is just an old graphics. For some reason trees are not getting replaced in the places of origin for the winter set.

Collision are added (from the start), so basically all the trees and assets have them. You just need to switch them on/off in code. Great thing with 3D trees is because they have collisions, you can climb most of them. :)
Great, glad to hear you're not finding any issues. I'm hoping that it will be quicker doing the other sets if you only have to match size/silhouette and type, but I have no idea. My artistic abilities are barely above stick figures. :)

I'll take a look at the issue with location natures in alternate seasons. How do the filenames differ?

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hazelnut wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:32 pm Does it snow in the Jungle? Not an expert, but I didn't imagine it would...
well in this game is does :lol:

in the winter the terrain textures switch to snow... In DREAM I aimed for a only partial snow coverage tho, to make it more reasonable and to make the summer billboards blend in better than in original.

But as it is now, its half as*ed - either we forget the winter (but the foot sounds will still sound like in winter) and swap the snow terrain for a summer version.

OR

We go with what we know - and that is that Beth wanted to have winter in the jungle but did not have the time/money to create a winter billboards versions.

We should decide on this one

But I want that variation in the game, when its already programmed. I dont want to get rid of one season. We can make the jungle winter different, less snowy, maybe just make it more muddy and less green, whatever...