itemInfoPanel for gold

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
jimfcarroll

Re: itemInfoPanel for gold

Post by jimfcarroll »

pango wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:32 pm ...
They're many subsystem that I barely understand, and I don't have a working debugger so I don't get to see dynamic behaviors, I'm only using source code to understand what's going on.
Are you on Windows? It's pretty easy to set up Unity (the free version) with VisualStudio (the free version) as a debugger.

pango

Post by pango »

jimfcarroll wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:17 pm Are you on Windows?
On Linux, using MonoDevelop (and Unity Editor as a last resort ;) )
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Pango, just checking in and saw this, and have to thank you - been hoping for this for a while! (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1042) Any chance you'll be able to tweak the inventory UI for the other part of that request - "show full item data (all enchants) in mouseover tooltips" (which would also allow for the gold amount/weight to be constantly displayed in the info panel; that panel would no longer be necessary for item data, as it's too small to display all such data in any case - see sample screenshot at viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1614&start=10#p18420)? As also suggested by the appreciation for that screenshot later in the topic, this would make the inventory UI even better!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

mikeprichard wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:27 am Pango, just checking in and saw this, and have to thank you - been hoping for this for a while! (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1042) Any chance you'll be able to tweak the inventory UI for the other part of that request - "show full item data (all enchants) in mouseover tooltips" (which would also allow for the gold amount/weight to be constantly displayed in the info panel; that panel would no longer be necessary for item data, as it's too small to display all such data in any case - see sample screenshot at viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1614&start=10#p18420)? As also suggested by the appreciation for that screenshot later in the topic, this would make the inventory UI even better!
I've been pretty clear on this in the past Mike, this is not a change I want in core. Have explained my reasoning, not doing it again. If you want this then it needs to be part of a modern UI mod.

@Pango, I've used MonoDevelop on Linux to debug DFU. I wouldn't call it great or amazingly stable, but it does work. Not sure what's required to get it to work, it just came integrated with Unity editor way back when DFU was using an older version in 2017.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

jimfcarroll

Post by jimfcarroll »

Maybe I'll give the mod a shot. I always wanted a display in the inventory screen that shows the weight-to-value ratio (or at LEAST the value for weapons and armor) for items in your inventory. It makes it easy (probably too easy) to maximize the selling value of what you can carry.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Hazelnut, I don't mean this to be smart, but I really didn't think you were speaking for everyone - I'm well aware you'd taken the UI as far as you wanted to go personally, but of course you're not the only core contributor, as shown by pango's work in this very topic. So is everyone on board with this decision?
Last edited by mikeprichard on Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pango

Post by pango »

Hazelnut wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:07 pm @Pango, I've used MonoDevelop on Linux to debug DFU. I wouldn't call it great or amazingly stable, but it does work. Not sure what's required to get it to work, it just came integrated with Unity editor way back when DFU was using an older version in 2017.
It seems the MonoDevelop support has been deprecated, so I don't know either what's required, or if it can still be made to work...
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

pango wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:56 pm
Hazelnut wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:07 pm @Pango, I've used MonoDevelop on Linux to debug DFU. I wouldn't call it great or amazingly stable, but it does work. Not sure what's required to get it to work, it just came integrated with Unity editor way back when DFU was using an older version in 2017.
It seems the MonoDevelop support has been deprecated, so I don't know either what's required, or if it can still be made to work...
Hmm, well for what it's worth it still seems to work with newer versions of unity from the install that came with v5.5 or whatever version it was back then. (I forget) Shame they've dropped support though.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

jimfcarroll

Post by jimfcarroll »

Hey Pango, Just curious about what happened with this. It doesn't appear to have made it into any builds. FWIW, I thought it was a great add and I remember it every time I need to click on the GOLD button and then back out just to see how many GPs I have.

pango

Post by pango »

I was still unsure about that temporary DaggerfallUnityItem...
How well, I submitted it nonetheless: https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... /pull/1590
-- Charles Goodhart