Tedious Travel 0.4.2 (2019-10-16)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
DFIronman

Re: Tedious Travel 0.4.1 (2019-06-08)

Post by DFIronman »

It's possible to fully disabling pausing (I've done it for the next version of my mod), so you can still travel with a book open, but it requires some use of Reflection (which Tedious Travel already does a little of) and replacing a couple of Components at runtime for a more seamless experience. The changes I've had to make to those Components are so incredibly minor that maybe Interkarma will allow them into the regular build, avoiding the need to replace the Components, at least.

Also, yeah, this mod is excellent. Thanks for your work on it, jedidia. Would you be willing to add the ability to automatically stop travel once you get a disease message? I was planning on doing it through my own mod (if possible), but it's the kind of thing that should be native to yours.

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Would you be willing to add the ability to automatically stop travel once you get a disease message?
Sounds like a sensible idea, the problem will be intercepting the message. I guess it goes into a similar area like the quest hooks, which Pango provided, but It'll need some testing, which is a problem currently...

DFIronman

Post by DFIronman »

Code: Select all

void FixedUpdate()
    {
            UserInterfaceWindow window = DaggerfallUI.Instance.UserInterfaceManager.TopWindow;

// TODO: Make this whole thing faster.
            if (window == TediousTravelUIMenu)
            {
                LinkedList<TextLabel> textRows = (LinkedList<TextLabel>)DaggerfallUI.Instance.DaggerfallHUD.PopupText.GetFieldByName("textRows");

if (textRows.Count > 0 && textRows.Last.Value.Text == HardStrings.youFeelSomewhatBad)
                {
                    // Need to remove the message so it doesn't keep closing the traveling
                    // window on resume.
                    textRows.RemoveLast();

// Close the travel window and pop up a message with our health status.
                    window.GetMethodInfo("CloseWindow").Invoke(window, null);
                    DaggerfallUI.Instance.CreateHealthStatusBox(DaggerfallUI.Instance.UserInterfaceManager.TopWindow).Show();
                }

// Don't allow weather particles during Tedious Travel.
                if (GameManager.Instance.WeatherManager.PlayerWeather.RainParticles.activeSelf)
                    GameManager.Instance.WeatherManager.PlayerWeather.RainParticles.SetActive(false);
                else if (GameManager.Instance.WeatherManager.PlayerWeather.SnowParticles.activeSelf)
                    GameManager.Instance.WeatherManager.PlayerWeather.SnowParticles.SetActive(false);
            }
    }
This is the code I'm using in an unreleased version of my mod. It will stop the player when they get a disease message and will also hide the weather particles. This is really dirty and was written without consideration for speed, so it could use some cleaning up; but it might help you out. The ideal thing would be to add an event in DFUnity's DiseaseEffect.UpdateDisease() that gets thrown when the disease goes live and work off of that instead of trying to string-match a message.

Also, I use a class extension to help out a bit with reflection, so GetMethodInfo just returns a MethodInfo object and GetFieldByName runs GetValue() on a FieldInfo object. TediousTravelUIMenu is just TediousTravel.TediousTravel.travelUi.

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Oh, thanks! I'll take a look at it when I get around to it. Doing some itsy bitty things every once in a while, but I have to update to the new travel map ui, which will take a while...
The ideal thing would be to add an event in DFUnity's DiseaseEffect.UpdateDisease() that gets thrown when the disease goes live and work off of that instead of trying to string-match a message.
Yeah, there's not much of an event architecture in DFUnity as far as I could see so far. Not surprising when you look at where it's coming from, I wouldn't be surprised if the closest thing the original code had to events were interrupts... :lol:

ZerioctheTank

Post by ZerioctheTank »

Just wanted to come on here, and say thank you for this mod. You really get the feeling on how big world really is. I absolutely love listening to Oversnow while I'm on my way to a new dungeon.

Slydk1982

Post by Slydk1982 »

I just updated to the new version. It still runs very laggy. It runs most stable at 10x speed.. But im also using nearly every texture mod on this site. Guessing that is what killing the performance??

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Some mods take more power than others. Realtime Reflections, Trees of Daggerfall, and Postprocess Effects take a lot.

Traveling in rain and snow also significantly increases the workload. I can run 100x during sunny time, and my computer isn't amazing.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

theicedevil wrote:Can someone help me? And please forgive me if this issue has come up before. I don't feel like browsing through 22 pages of comments to find out the solution of the problem. Seems that I am unable to use this mod. The mod causes my game to freeze and then crash the moment I load a game. The game loads just like normal but if I try to load a save or even a brand new game, the moment the game loads my character into the worldspace or dungeon space, the game freezes and then crashes shortly after. I will see the hud element loaded on screen but the rest is entirely black. Trying to do anything like clicking the mouse button or opening the inventory will cause the game to crash. I'm running the current DU v0.10.6 on Window 10 and made sure it was the .dfmod from the StandaloneWindows folder in the archive.

EDIT: Okay, it does work after all. Seems the game lags a bit after the game launches and if I just wait the game will finally load. It's a about a 10 or 20 second lag. Hopefully you can get the lagging fixed or improved in future updates. Great mod!
Welcome to the forums. There's a notice near the start of the first post:
important: When you load your first save after activating the mod, it will export some data to the Mods/TediousData folder.
This might take a minute or two, but is only necessary the first time around.

theicedevil

Post by theicedevil »

Jay_H wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:26 pm
theicedevil wrote:Can someone help me? And please forgive me if this issue has come up before. I don't feel like browsing through 22 pages of comments to find out the solution of the problem. Seems that I am unable to use this mod. The mod causes my game to freeze and then crash the moment I load a game. The game loads just like normal but if I try to load a save or even a brand new game, the moment the game loads my character into the worldspace or dungeon space, the game freezes and then crashes shortly after. I will see the hud element loaded on screen but the rest is entirely black. Trying to do anything like clicking the mouse button or opening the inventory will cause the game to crash. I'm running the current DU v0.10.6 on Window 10 and made sure it was the .dfmod from the StandaloneWindows folder in the archive.

EDIT: Okay, it does work after all. Seems the game lags a bit after the game launches and if I just wait the game will finally load. It's a about a 10 or 20 second lag. Hopefully you can get the lagging fixed or improved in future updates. Great mod!
Welcome to the forums. There's a notice near the start of the first post:
important: When you load your first save after activating the mod, it will export some data to the Mods/TediousData folder.
This might take a minute or two, but is only necessary the first time around.
Yes. I found out shortly after my first post and I finally got the game to run with the mod activated, which is why I deleted my original post. Anyhow, thank you for the welcome. Glad to be here and playing Daggerfall for the first time.

Pantalaimon

Post by Pantalaimon »

Love the mod, though it's apparently been causing some issues for me. I recently discovered that it's been the cause of the game freezing/hanging when quitting. I've disabled all other mods and quest packs save Tedious Travel and the issue persists.

It's been pretty simple for me to reproduce on my end; I toggle a setting so I start outside of Privateer's Hold, and then fast travel to anywhere at all that takes some time to get to. When I quit the game, it creates an audio buzzing noise while the program freezes (to be clear, I get the same buzz when quitting normally - but this one goes on indefinitely). At this point I have to kill the process. I've inadvertently left it running while frozen for 90 minutes or more and it was still going when I got back.

I've searched and found a few references to the same problem I'm having, but it appears nobody had narrowed down the cause before. I saw mention of the output_log.txt file, but couldn't find anything in it that would point to the problem. After exiting the game following a marathon session that log file was 700 MB however! I can attach a (much smaller) copy if that would help.

I definitely love the idea though! Seeing it in action is part of what convinced me to give Daggerfall Unity a try in the first place, so even if I disable it for now it's still had a very positive effect.

EDIT: Not sure why but a fresh install plus this mod does not give the same effects. I'll have to do more testing before I can say what the conflict might be. Sorry to potentially waste your time, I thought I had accounted for many other reasons but it seems I'm mistaken.