things you wish you knew a long time ago

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
hello

things you wish you knew a long time ago

Post by hello »

i think it would be nice to have a thread like this.
save each other some headache..

it says arrows have weight, but they are actually weightless. you can carry however many you like without drawback.

you can put gold in your wagon. just have the wagon open and click on "gold" in your inventory

if you don't like default dungeon map transparency you can actually change how it behaves.
keep middle mouse button pressed and move mouse down / up to change map transparency.
by default this will reset every time you close and reopen the dungeon map. to have it save edit the line
AutomapRememberSliceLevel = False to AutomapRememberSliceLevel = True in your settings.ini
or just set AutomapAlwaysMaxOutSliceLevel = True to disable it altogether.

to find out if a door is locked by some sort of mechanism and can't be bashed: switch to grab mode and activate the door. doors like that will say that it's a magically held lock. if it says something else you will be able to bash the door. it might just take longer than you thought it should.

Firebrand

Re: things you wish you knew a long time ago

Post by Firebrand »

hello wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:04 pm i think it would be nice to have a thread like this.
save each other some headache..

it says arrows have weight, but they are actually weightless. you can carry however many you like without drawback.

you can put gold in your wagon. just have the wagon open and click on "gold" in your inventory

if you don't like default dungeon map transparency you can actually change how it behaves.
keep middle mouse button pressed and move mouse down / up to change map transparency.
by default this will reset every time you close and reopen the dungeon map. to have it save edit the line
AutomapRememberSliceLevel = False to AutomapRememberSliceLevel = True in your settings.ini
or just set AutomapAlwaysMaxOutSliceLevel = True to disable it altogether.

to find out if a door is locked by some sort of mechanism and can't be bashed: switch to grab mode and activate the door. doors like that will say that it's a magically held lock. if it says something else you will be able to bash the door. it might just take longer than you thought it should.
Right Click on region map to zoom. Some people pixel-hunted for years before finding this one :lol:

gimble

Post by gimble »

DFU specific:
  • Ctrl + click to split stacks of items (potions, ingredients, etc).
  • Press Shift+Tab to bring up quest debugger to see the status of different quests (for troubleshooting).
  • Gold can be dropped on the ground - it will create a loot pile. Useful for marking certain locations in complex dungeons (in addition to map markers).
  • Dumping personality can backfire - Every 5 points of personality acts as +1 modifier for NPC reactions. A low personality can become annoying when playing with mods that add quests that rely on getting information from NPCs.
  • Save data is in plaintext and can be used for debugging (including general reputation and faction alliances).
  • The jump spell works on horses - enjoy rooftop hopping. Developers, if this was unintended, please do not fix
DFU and classic:
  • Ctrl+F to bring up location search in fast travel menu.
  • Unlike later games, shield spell blocks all damage upto the magnitude, i.e. not just physical, but spells too. The effect is cheaper to cast than spell resistance or spell reflection and complements spell absorption.
Classic specific:
  • UI prompts that ask "yes" or "no" (like quests, or map travel) can be handled by pressing y/n on the keyboard.
  • Levitate + switch to horse to travel quickly in large towns. In DFU, it is possible to levitate while on a horse, but you do not get the horse speed just the normal levitation speed

Almainyny

Post by Almainyny »

Holy smokes. You're telling me that Shield spells are that strong, huh? Interesting. That could be useful if I decided that I want a character that forbids themselves plate armor.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I once created a character in classic who used a "shield" to block, which was just casting the Shield spell with 1 duration and high block value during combat. Rather fun for the time, though we'll soon have better methods through modding ;)

Almainyny

Post by Almainyny »

Jay_H wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:20 pm I once created a character in classic who used a "shield" to block, which was just casting the Shield spell with 1 duration and high block value during combat. Rather fun for the time, though we'll soon have better methods through modding ;)
I really, REALLY like that idea honestly. Like a character quickly generating a Ward like in Skyrim, but less fiddly, or what some fiction media call "kickshields" where you quickly generate an energy shield for a split second to block something.