[MOD] Trees Of Daggerfall

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
VMblast

Re: [MOD] Trees Of Daggerfall

Post by VMblast »

Just me testing the mod, as it is now (with the latest optimizations Ive posted).

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

It looks like you've got it running pretty well and it's looking good! I've kind of stalled on my tests, but I intend to run the profiler on it and try to figure out the issue.

Kalell

Post by Kalell »

This is amazing! Runs fine for me with the settings you recommended. I'll be looking forward to the winter set. =)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi VMBlast

I cant see the thread about the Map so I write here.

SO... when you click "Im at" at the global map, the region starts to blink in red. And this red region is 320x200 plus its a bit different than the new map, as it uses the old map layout.

Lacus has opened this to modding, some months back. And Id like to make it a reality. Not only it will be blinking in red (or maybe different color), but there will be the name of the region on it etc...

Now... what I need for that to happen...

Well there are 2 options, one is easy for you and one not so easy.

The easy one (hopefully)

You provide me with some editable format which is still layered. There I can select the region and save it elswhere. Than I add the correct naming to it and it should work...

The not so easy:
You export those regions and send em my way and I do the rest :D

What I need is the space inside the region borders... now it looks like this... it really is not up to par with the rest of the map :D

Thanks for considering it!!
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (419.09 KiB) Viewed 3374 times

rasonage

Post by rasonage »

wow the test footage looks awesome...
too bad this mod does nothing on my computer :'(
the trees are still 2d sprites... but maybe it's my location? daggerfall

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

rasonage wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:45 am wow the test footage looks awesome...
too bad this mod does nothing on my computer :'(
the trees are still 2d sprites... but maybe it's my location? daggerfall
or maybe its winter? Anyway, this is not ready for a gameplay yet

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

So the latest release of DFU contains the optimisations I did for nature model replacement. Now everyone can give it a try. (note: it does nothing if your terrain distance is set to 1)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

I've tried with Distance 2. Now, not only is gorgeuos, but it's also playable ;)
Thank you! :)

Sure, there are still a few drawbacks:
  • even if loading times greatly improved, they're still very long: for example, it took me 30 seconds to load the wilderness outside a dungeon. Also, when you move too far, the game freeze for about 10 seconds. I suppose it's due to the player entering in a new map cell (is this the correct word? :? )
  • the transition distance from DFU stock tree to the improved ones is noticeable in the city, and very distracting in the wilderness, where, since you haven't got any house, you can see far more away. It would be nice to have a MOD setting to change this transition distance.
  • it would very likely reduce your framerate.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Firebrand wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:01 pm I've tried with Distance 2. Now, not only is gorgeuos, but it's also playable ;)
Thank you! :)

Sure, there are still a few drawbacks:
  • even if loading times greatly improved, they're still very long: for example, it took me 30 seconds to load the wilderness outside a dungeon. Also, when you move too far, the game freeze for about 10 seconds. I suppose it's due to the player entering in a new map cell (is this the correct word? :? )
  • the transition distance from DFU stock tree to the improved ones is noticeable in the city, and very distracting in the wilderness, where, since you haven't got any house, you can see far more away. It would be nice to have a MOD setting to change this transition distance.
  • it would very likely reduce your framerate.
The load times are the game re-laying out natures. It has to do more of that to transition from flats to 3d models as you move around the world. 10s seems quite high, for my system it was much less. Mods do require better specs of PCs to work well sometimes.

Regarding transition distance I am not sure what you're saying here. Maybe some screenshots to explain would help. There's not really a way to change the transition distance as it's based on terrain chunks of the underlying streaming world.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

VMblast

Post by VMblast »

V1.0 is out.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1826

Big thanks to @Hazelnut! Cheers man :beer:

Ive added one more transitional LOD (when compared to the last version). So there are now 3 LODs: highest, mid one and billboard.