Alternate Start

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
FilthyCasual523

Alternate Start

Post by FilthyCasual523 »

I'd love to see an alternate start functionality, for roleplayers who don't always want to start the game as the Emperor's best friend. Technically DFU had this function back when it was in pre-Alpha; I was hoping to see it return. :)

pango

Re: Alternate Start

Post by pango »

You mean this?
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

FilthyCasual523

Post by FilthyCasual523 »

No.

I mean starting out in the world and not having the main quest at all in your logs. As an option.

pango

Post by pango »

Ah, I see. Yes, it was removed when the game reached alpha...
PS Actually, even before that: https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... 8193e18daa
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

BoneofMalkav

Post by BoneofMalkav »

pango wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:05 pm Ah, I see. Yes, it was removed when the game reached alpha...
PS Actually, even before that: https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... 8193e18daa
Can confirm, I'm sure someone could mod that option back in.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

It'd be a very simple mod, if you did it quest-side. Just replace _BRISIEN and Sx0999 with quest actions that do "end quest" and that'd do it all :lol:

DeltaOfPie

Post by DeltaOfPie »

An alternate start would be actually pretty interesting... where you could actually create your base class by roaming a little bit through a small city and then encounter the emperor....
A little bit like the System Shock2 start...

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I've been thinking a bit about this actually. Where you could choose to not have the main quest or have a different Main Quest.
It started with thinking about changing the classes for the game where they started as members of various guilds.

For example: A class called "Knight of The Rose" which starts with membership and some positive repuation in Knighs Of The Rose. He would spawn in the Knights of The Rose guild building in Wayrest and could have a main quest (doesn't have to be as involved as the true main quest) centering around his knightly order and Wayrest. Maybe with Lord Woodborne as the villain?

4nt

Post by 4nt »

As long as you'd still get the initial letter from Lady Brisienna a few days after starting your game and it doesn't break the main quest, I'm all for the inclusion of an alternate start mod.

I use a mod similar to this in Skyrim, and its pretty much the only way i can keep new games fresh anymore. As an example, my last character started in the riften jail and i was able to come up with a backstory and everything to account for that. It really helped get me into the mindset of my character and smoothly transition into the Thieves Guild.

Lokkrin Zhataros

-

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros »

-
Last edited by Lokkrin Zhataros on Wed May 26, 2021 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.