0.10.7 ISSUE: Suddenly, I cannot interact with internal doors anymore

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Leeux

0.10.7 ISSUE: Suddenly, I cannot interact with internal doors anymore

Post by Leeux »

:shock: :? :x :(

Not sure what's going on... I was playing the game normally for weeks and weeks. Then today, after reaching 87% in one of my skills I was finally given the last rank in the Fighter's Guild and Knight Order... When I went to the house guy inside the KO headquarters to check on that, I noticed the issue for the first time. I couldn't open the internal doors leading to the guy. At that moment, I saved the game and loaded on the spot, and that was enough to make one door open... then the second one behind that door also won't activate... so I did the same, saved and loaded, and I could open the door on load.

But now I'm at the Wayrest bank and no matter what I do, I can't access the bank guy, the inner doors don't open. Sadly, I don't have a save game from before the rank ups, the earlier save game I have is from before the last dungeon dive I did, so no easy way to check if it was caused by the rank up or something in-between those two save points.

Interacting with anything else seems to work (NPCs on the street, transition doors, firing a spell... etc.) but for some reason moving animated inner door wont open anymore.

Issue happens with no mods loaded too, I checked removing all mods from the Mods\ folder.

From what I can tell, it seems to be related to a queued Open spell (that comes from a training combo spell that I use before resting) that I had from before the interaction with the NPC that ranked me... for some reason, the game still is saying "Spell effect failed" when I load the game that has the issue, while the save that has no issues doesn't say it.

I'll attach two saves:
"SAVE116 (Broken Save).7z" is the save that currently has the issue, the mods have been removed and the PC is standing in front of the Wayrest Bank door... What I do is enter and try to open the inner door that leads to the banker guy, and I can't.

"SAVE117 (Working Save).7z" is the save that I had from before the last dungeon delving and that I loaded and went back to Wayrest and try to do the same and it works. Also no mods where loaded when I made that save.

I really hope I'm not being dumb and overlooking something really obvious :oops:

EDIT: I've rollbacked my saves to the working one and redid the dungeon again, and went back to Wayrest and this time I was careful not to have a pending queued Open before going to the Knight order and Fighters Guild, and so I was able to continue playing normally. From what I could saw, the queued Open remains active as a spell effect and you continue in "Open mode" even if you use the Abort Spell key... you would probably need to use a high enough chance Dispel or wait the Open duration until it expires.

EDIT2: I couldn't bear the typos anymore, and I had to fix them :oops:
Attachments
SAVE117 (Working Save).7z
(287.07 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
SAVE116 (Broken Save).7z
(260.4 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Last edited by Leeux on Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pango

Re: 0.10.7 ISSUE: Suddenly, I cannot interact with internal doors anymore

Post by pango »

After some quick testing, as you noticed, it seems related to your "Train Combined 3" spell that contains 3 effects including an Open effect. Once it wears off (after several hours, it's combined with a WaterWalking effect that has 639 rounds remaining), you can open internal doors normally again.
In the broken save, "Removing bundle [Train Combined 3]" log does not appear after trying to open a door, while it does with the good save.
It's a "Caster only" spell like normal Open spell, I see nothing wrong about it... Hopefully somebody can dig into this problem further, but at least now you know your character is not permanently broken.
In any case those saves will be very precious, thank you!
Last edited by pango on Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Leeux

Re: 0.10.7 ISSUE: Suddenly, I cannot interact with internal doors anymore

Post by Leeux »

pango wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:28 am After some quick testing, as you noticed, it seems related to your "Train Combined 3" spell that contains 3 effects including an Open effect. Once it wears off (after several hours), you can open internal doors normally again.
It's a "Caster only" spell like normal Open spell, I see nothing wrong about it... Hopefully somebody can dig into this problem further, but at least now you know your character is not permanently broken.
Yeah thank you! It's difficult to notice when there's a new effect active when you're using a bunch of enchanted items! Strange that the Abort Spell doesn't cancel the "mode" even if it can't cancel the effect...

I've tested it on my old classic installation and what I seem to notice is that even if Open stays active after you cast it until you interact with a door, it still lets you interact with non-locked (and non-transition) doors too.

EDIT: I was thinking that it's starting to become an issue now when it wasn't before due to the fact that the Open in the train combo works more frequently than it used to, due to the fact that I'm higher level now :| I'll probably have to replace the Open with something else in the training spell :)

Dubiousintent

Failed "Open" freezes animated doors (Bug?)

Post by Dubiousintent »

If a multi-spell "Training Cantrip" contained an "Open" component which failed but the cantrip duration is still running (or a series of such cantrips are queued up), animated interior doors (such as those in dungeons or taverns) will not activate open when "grabbed". They remain stuck closed unless "bashed" open physically with hand-to-hand or a weapon. Once the failed cantrip queue finally expires, they resume opening normally.

Even successfully casting a single "Open" spell while the failed cantrips are still queued up will not open the door.

While this is admittedly a rare circumstance, it is very puzzling when first encountered.

pango

Re: Failed "Open" freezes animated doors (Bug?)

Post by pango »

That's probably the same as viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2833
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Dubiousintent

Re: Failed "Open" freezes animated doors (Bug?)

Post by Dubiousintent »

Aha! Yes, I would say it is indeed the same problem. Very similar cantrip with the same "spell failed" message and behavior.