3D Humanoid Model Replacer

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
l3lessed

Re: 3D Humanoid Model Replacer

Post by l3lessed »

Wait, you have high frame animations or 3d models/animations done? I know you have hi-res models, but I thought they still used the default 5 sprite animation system. Have I been being dumb this whole time :?.

If we have full 1st person models and animations set to go (either hi frame sprite animations or a 3d model system), send them my way, and I'll work on getting them in. However, if they are hi-res replacers, then it isn't what is needed to move off the current frame offset method required for base DFU weapon sprites. There is only two ways to move off the current system because of how enchanted weapon animations work.

1. Someone produces a 60fps 2d sprite animation and I rebuild the weaponbasic script and fpsscript to handle 60 frame ticks versus the default 5fps. Probably the easiest method.
2. Someone fully models and rigs 3d first person hands and weapon and their needed animations. I can then begin rebuilding the fpsweapon and weaponbasic script from the ground up largely to use 3d animations and models.

Anything outside of this is going to cause frame skipping and cutoff issues from what I have experienced. I've had to do some pretty janky tricks to get the current set of animations to work without any major frame cutoffs or massive skipping.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

Yagiza wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:16 pm Is 3D modelling automated right now?
I think, modern neural networks can easily generate a 3D model from a set of sprites.
Nope, not yet.

I keep looking for open source projects that do this, but haven't come across any up to this point.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

AI developments are moving fast and are pretty amazing at times, but AI is still very limited in what it can do. It largely is centered on very specific, highly complex, extremely labor intensive problems, like figuring out the best combination out of millions for a new cancer medication or to solve some insanely complex quantum problem/formula that would take human minds years and decades to manually try to sort out one failed attempt at a time.

Point being, they are not the quick solution to all our coming problems like pop culture and people seem to think. I would not plan on AI programs we have access to to create us fully workable 3d models from a 3d sprite anytime soon.

Hell, AI developers openly admit, they don't really even understand what they are making and doing. They are inputting all these complex digital neural networks and data into closed boxes and seeing what comes out of it, but they actually have no idea what is happening most times.

As some examples, AI developers trained an AI to find wolves in pictures. They fed in endless images of wolves and then tested it. It seemed to work, until they hit certain images. What they ended up finding out is the AI found the quickest way to identify a wolf was by it being within certain settings, like forests, around trees, in nature, and so on. So, the AI was actually labeling wolves merely based off the surroundings, and not the actual wolf object itself. Or, google creating AI that talk to each other, just to have the AI create its own language that no engineers could decipher requiring them to pull the plug on it. Or the AI that created its own baby AI, and again, engineers had no idea what happened, and had to pull the plug on it again.

CrazyCyrodilicCat

Post by CrazyCyrodilicCat »

King of Worms wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:58 pm
l3lessed wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:03 pm Well go get at it then. There is already a thread discussing this. I started it when I began working on the combat scripts. For how easy everyone, including me, thought it is, it sure seems hard to get anyone to produce the models, animations, or new 2d sprites.

If anyone is working on replacing first person weapons, please let me know. I'm already breaking a part and redoing this for my combat mod.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2554
Im doing the 1st person weapons replacement:) in fact, its ready
Wait wut? R u Jesus?

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

l3lessed wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:15 pm Wait, you have high frame animations or 3d models/animations done? I know you have hi-res models, but I thought they still used the default 5 sprite animation system. Have I been being dumb this whole time :?.

If we have full 1st person models and animations set to go (either hi frame sprite animations or a 3d model system), send them my way, and I'll work on getting them in. However, if they are hi-res replacers, then it isn't what is needed to move off the current frame offset method required for base DFU weapon sprites. There is only two ways to move off the current system because of how enchanted weapon animations work.

1. Someone produces a 60fps 2d sprite animation and I rebuild the weaponbasic script and fpsscript to handle 60 frame ticks versus the default 5fps. Probably the easiest method.
2. Someone fully models and rigs 3d first person hands and weapon and their needed animations. I can then begin rebuilding the fpsweapon and weaponbasic script from the ground up largely to use 3d animations and models.

Anything outside of this is going to cause frame skipping and cutoff issues from what I have experienced. I've had to do some pretty janky tricks to get the current set of animations to work without any major frame cutoffs or massive skipping.
They are "just" HD replacers. Creating 60fps animations this way is not realistic. Even this low framerate images are like 5000 files. I was hoping - and I believe its the case - we can use your algo to make em move in 60 fps maybe.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

CrazyCyrodilicCat wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:39 am
King of Worms wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:58 pm
l3lessed wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:03 pm Well go get at it then. There is already a thread discussing this. I started it when I began working on the combat scripts. For how easy everyone, including me, thought it is, it sure seems hard to get anyone to produce the models, animations, or new 2d sprites.

If anyone is working on replacing first person weapons, please let me know. I'm already breaking a part and redoing this for my combat mod.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2554
Im doing the 1st person weapons replacement:) in fact, its ready
Wait wut? R u Jesus?
No, just a tired old guy

Skipper

Post by Skipper »

@concarne, looks cool and brings finishing 3d pieces into the game. Are you strongly aimed into this complex body generation, or if there will be a simpler system on the first iteration accessible to public, like replacement for billboards, basic idle, locomotion and attack?
Because things you are planning require a lot of work (and time).

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

They are "just" HD replacers. Creating 60fps animations this way is not realistic. Even this low framerate images are like 5000 files. I was hoping - and I believe its the case - we can use your algo to make em move in 60 fps maybe.
Yeah, that is what I was thinking too. Just checking I didn't misunderstand something.

Classic1985

Post by Classic1985 »

Greetings all

I will provide you all with a base Argonian model I created 100% from scratch. I would love to see this in game with a working camera system like Skyrim's. I do not currently possess the skills to get this into unity or do texturing. This model needs rigged and animated with high quality textures based on Daggerfall's art style. Good luck and have a good day.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... QccpVrKNyT
Classic1985

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

@concarne

Have you considered using UMA for the humanoid meshes? I've been using it a little bit for a side-project and I've been impressed with it's flexibility. It seems pretty much in line with your goals.

I've been tempted to try to integrate it into DFU myself, but I don't want to step on your toes.

My vision of this graphics overhaul would incorporate my Sprite Write (formerly called "Spriter") utility as an optional setting to render the 3D model as a customizable faux sprite.

Anyhow, I hope you haven't lost your interest in this pursuit. Hope to hear from you soon.
Last edited by MasonFace on Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.