I am annoyed by nexusmods...

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Kayzee

I am annoyed by nexusmods...

Post by Kayzee »

So today I decided to update Daggerfall Unity after a while of not playing it much and go to see if any of the cool mods are updated...

Turns out yes, but now a bunch of them have moved to this "nexusmods" site that requires an account to download anything. Really? I hate making accounts! Only reason I made one here is I actually had something to say/ask. Ugh... I will probobly end up making an account there anyway if this becomes a trend, but right now I don't feel like bothering.

*throws a little hissy fit instead. Nobody is impressed.*

Okay, now that that's out of my system I think I will take another nap...

Ommamar

Re: I am annoyed by nexusmods...

Post by Ommamar »

I suspect that is what the new trend will be. So far though if you look around you can find an alternate download path in the thread.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Thankfully, compared to games like Morrowind that use Nexus, the dead PlanetElderScrolls, ModDB, Great House Fliggerty, and MW Mod History, DFU's modders only use one site. It's one account to make, but there shouldn't be any alternatives in the future.

Skipper

Post by Skipper »

Making an account on nexus is free, although I never did understand why site owners force visitors to register any accounts for readonly activity. Just to bloat database and spend more money pn hosting?

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Kayzee wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:10 pm I hate making accounts!
Same here mate!

But the reason is probably they don't want their files leeched, which will result in site traffic overload that might bring it down altogether.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

..and Im annoyed by running out of limited space on my MEGA and DropBox accounts to share my mods. I will very gladly use em as a backup only.

I also dont enjoy ppl having problems in various countries downloading my mods, because their ISP decides MEGA is baaaad.

I dont enjoy posting screenshots on the forums, where only 3 screens per post are allowed (unless you link em from other sites) - I like to have my 70 screens you can open in fullscreen and browse em by clicking arrows.

I like to have dedicated version update section instead of burying that info on the 104th page on forums where nobody will see that.

I like my mods to have a big visibility and traffic, which than works as a DFU advertisement as well.

Im sorry you have a problem setting up a free account to download stuff for free and you even feel the need to start a thread only on that. I dont like creating accounts, I get that, but look at it from the side of the producer as well. There is no turning back anyway, so u better set that account up. The time you dedicated to writing this post took longer than that.

Sleep well ;)

chtujo

Post by chtujo »

King of Worms wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:54 pmIm sorry you have a problem setting up a free account to download stuff for free and you even feel the need to start a thread only on that. I dont like creating accounts, I get that, but look at it from the side of the producer as well. There is no turning back anyway, so u better set that account up. The time you dedicated to writing this post took longer than that.

Sleep well ;)
(I'm not OP)
You don't have to be quite so aggressive. Nexusmods is definitely not a great site, they used to limit non users to download files under 2 MB, but now they've decided that even that was too much. That's really silly, Moddb will let me download a 1 gig file as a non-user (probably larger ones as well), so why can't Nexusmods let my download a 2MB file? I don't care if they limit my daily bandwidth, or set the max download speed to 250 KB/s (which Moddb doesn't BTW), if they just let me download mods from their site at all, I would be happy.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

CHAPPJO wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:49 am (I'm not OP)
You don't have to be quite so aggressive. Nexusmods is definitely not a great site, they used to limit non users to download files under 2 MB, but now they've decided that even that was too much. That's really silly, Moddb will let me download a 1 gig file as a non-user (probably larger ones as well), so why can't Nexusmods let my download a 2MB file? I don't care if they limit my daily bandwidth, or set the max download speed to 250 KB/s (which Moddb doesn't BTW), if they just let me download mods from their site at all, I would be happy.
Make an account, be happy!

They actually state their reason for it when you try to download something without being logged in:

We require all users to login to a Nexus Mods account when downloading to prevent abuse of our systems, to provide additional security and so we can reliably reward the mod authors on Nexus Mods via our Donation Points system (which relies on us being able to record accurate download statistics).

King of Worms isn't being agressive, he's just stating that there's two sides to the coin (with a slightly sarcastic tone :) ). It's not like complaining about having to make an account will make Nexus roll back all of the changes they made over the years because they suddenly feel THAT sorry for your annoyance. Even when they rolled out a new skin / layout people complained about 'change'.

Change is the only constant in life, you either adapt or you make / participate in threads like these where the solution is as simple as making a so-called 'throwaway' account. If you choose not to, fine but don't act like this is a problem that needs to be solved because you're inconvenienced.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Skipper

Post by Skipper »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:18 amThey actually state their reason for it when you try to download something without being logged in:

We require all users to login to a Nexus Mods account when downloading to prevent abuse of our systems, to provide additional security and so we can reliably reward the mod authors on Nexus Mods via our Donation Points system (which relies on us being able to record accurate download statistics).
By the way, I made a super simple mod for skyrim (for myself) and uploaded it to nexus, and as soon as 1000 people downloaded it, I was considered as "true mod author" and now nexus disabled ads for me, and doubled my bandwith (from 1 to 2 megabytes per second), which is a big deal.

As far as I know, it does not require users to provide real life personal data, so what is the problem to create anonymous account with a silly nickname?

For such purposes I have a separate trash-email-box, and I feel free to register at any site.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

CHAPPJO wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:49 am
King of Worms wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:54 pmIm sorry you have a problem setting up a free account to download stuff for free and you even feel the need to start a thread only on that. I dont like creating accounts, I get that, but look at it from the side of the producer as well. There is no turning back anyway, so u better set that account up. The time you dedicated to writing this post took longer than that.

Sleep well ;)
(I'm not OP)
I dont think that stating the reasons why I prefer to share my mods on nexus rather than on the DFU forums is aggressive. Is having a different opinion and explaining the reasoning behind that from the creators point of view considered aggressive nowadays?
if they just let me download mods from their site at all, I would be happy.
All your problems with the site is that you are too lazy to create a account, instead of that you spend that time complaining about it, I fail to see the logic behind that, sorry.

And one think to consider, some ppl spend 1000s of hours creating the mods for free, and you you feel bothered spending 20seconds to set a free account to download them? I will not move to ModDb, sorry, I used to be there 1 year before moving to nexus. Nexus is better to me for the reasons I already explained and whole TES community is already there. What do you really want? Should I create a account for you and send the password? :lol:

Anyway, BadLuck and Skipper said it all... Be well, enjoy the mods, set a account and be happy. ;)