Custom Dungeon Blocks

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Hazelnut

Re: Custom Dungeon Blocks

Post by Hazelnut »

I have plans to extend the world data override system to include dungeon blocks, so existing blocks can be modified and updated. Sounds like it may be worth allowing new blocks to be defined and used too maybe. What format are they creating the blocks in?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Our friend says .fbx would be the most sensible, though .json full of vertices and entity names is an alternative.

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

So theoretically this is all very doable; basically would just need to 3d map the map pieces in a program like blender, texture them, and then make them in a way the game can interpret.

the problem is that BSA is an old old format and we don't really know how they're packaged and how to get the content to the consumer.
There's two aspects here; one is creating the new layouts. The best way would be to be able to manipulate existing layouts and frankenstein them together to make something new. A hall is a hall, stairs are stairs: just disassemble individual parts like Legos then slap them together to make groups.

the other half is someone has to add this content into unity, set it up with items, monsters, markers, ext. and program it into the game.

Would be nice if we had some map editing software for that, but I think the major issue is on the programming side, not the 3d side. all these shapes are so rudimentary, mocking something up in Blender would be easy; just uv wrapping daggerfall textures, tiling, and making the architecture is simple enough for the low poly look.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Jay_H wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:32 pm Our friend says .fbx would be the most sensible, though .json full of vertices and entity names is an alternative.
So they are making models to be pieced together into playable dungeons then. That's great, and a good start. They should be able to be imported using the existing model import functionality, although may need a tweak to work without a vanilla model existing.

To then actually use them to modify an existing dungeon, the RDB block data will need to be overridden to use the new models for those blocks and location data changed if whole new blocks are constructed. New dungeons entirely should be possible by allowing location records to be added, although that might require some changing of validation etc. By overriding the DF data in the same way as the building replacement done for Archs guild, the modified and contributed dungeons should be available to the game just like vanilla dungeons. It will require a lot of JSON to do this.

If the intent is simply to have a dungeon that a specific mod uses outside of the normal DF mechanics then UVs new locations mod may well be able to do that easier if there's a way to transition inside. This would not be limited to the DF structures etc, and would be essentially Unity assets layered on top of the DF world.

I hope that made some kind of sense, it's quite complex topic. Is your friend planning to pop by the forums do you think?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Diema

Post by Diema »

Hazelnut wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:54 pmIs your friend planning to pop by the forums do you think?
Yes.

Here are a couple of blocks I made today based on Jay_H's concept layouts, if you need some data to play with:

http://darkhaven3.com/gamefiles/dagger/jehuty-15.blend
http://darkhaven3.com/gamefiles/dagger/jehuty-17.blend

Please note that I have no idea whatsoever how to properly prepare these for DFU in terms of scale, texture references, what an RDB block is, or the JSON required to make the dungeon blocks string together (?). Treat me like I have no idea what I'm doing because I really don't. :V

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Somebody needs to make that old throne room Conan found right after he got released from the wheel of pain...
It's actually in the books too, and Just think about the sword.
Just sayin...
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Diema wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:29 am Yes.

Here are a couple of blocks I made today based on Jay_H's concept layouts, if you need some data to play with:

http://darkhaven3.com/gamefiles/dagger/jehuty-15.blend
http://darkhaven3.com/gamefiles/dagger/jehuty-17.blend

Please note that I have no idea whatsoever how to properly prepare these for DFU in terms of scale, texture references, what an RDB block is, or the JSON required to make the dungeon blocks string together (?). Treat me like I have no idea what I'm doing because I really don't. :V
Hey there, welcome to the forums.

I'm not very knowledgable about 3d modelling but I loaded your samples into blender to take a quick look at progress.

So when you say 'blocks' there, do you mean DF Blocks? DFBlocks are read from blocks bsa file and are the building blocks of daggerfall world locations like towns and dungeons. Dungeon blocks are called RDB and overworld blocks are RMB. If you go into a dungeon when playing DFU in unity editor, you can pause & switch to scene view and select the different combined 3d models for each block. This combined model is actually formed of many models which are specified by the RDB data and they can be seen in DF modelling utility program. (downloadable from df workshop) These models can be re-used in different blocks and are generally general purpose rooms, hallways etc. Then the blocks themselves can be combined in different ways to make all of the dungeons the game has.

It's feasible to make single model blocks, which is where the entire dungeon is a single huge model, and then add decoration models & markers from the standard set. This will reduce the flexibility of the model when compared with models of dungeon chunks that can be combined in different ways by block data, but that is fine for adding single custom dungeons. Just bear that in mind.

I have now developed the ability to modify and replace existing locations and dungeon blocks used in those locations. Next I need to try to allow new locations and dungeon blocks to be added which is going to be a bit trickier due to all of the indexing read from the classic data files.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Diema's been sharing some custom creations on Discord that have driven me crazy:

The method has been Level Buddy, a plugin for Blender 3D.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Wow, that's looking really cool! And I just pushed a PR enabling new dungeons to be added so these models will be able to be put in game soon. With some work of course, will be writing documentation in the modding forum soon.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Hahaha. I'm going crazy.

I literally just said that if this becomes possible for the masses, I might retire from writing quests and just make dungeon blocks instead. This is AMAZING! Thanks Hazelnut!!