Transparency support for spell icons

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
Interkarma

Re: Transparency support for spell icons

Post by Interkarma »

My original preference was to not have a black background. I added this because it's how classic presents these icons.

I'd be happy to simply remove the black background and wait for feedback. If anyone actually champions it, then a simple INI toggle can be added for it.

pango

Post by pango »

Sounds like a plan!
I merged the change immediately so I could fix the conflict with PR #1567
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Nice, this was fast, good change!

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Can we also stack them into two columns on the top left corner so that they aren't in the middle of your view?

Leeux

Post by Leeux »

Since we're talking about the icons, their appearance on the screen, and enhancing them... is there any chance to have an option to turn the HUD off for taking screenshots? ((Unless there already is something somewhere, and I have been blind and missed it entirely! Believe me, I've been looking for it since I started playing DFU!))

A console command would do fine, IMO... like TM in the later ES titles!

I bring this up here, because the spell effect icons are IMO the thing that adds way too much clutter to the screen, when you need to grab a cool view...

I personally tend to unequip magic stuff before grabbing a cool screenie, but I can't always be bothered to do that :) And not always all the effects come from items, either... so if you don't have a dispel, or something like that, you're stuck with the effects.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Shift+F10 will toggle the HUD completely for screenshots. Don't worry about not finding it, it's one of those undocumented things not visible in the keybinds. :)

Leeux

Post by Leeux »

Interkarma wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:21 am Shift+F10 will toggle the HUD completely for screenshots. Don't worry about not finding it, it's one of those undocumented things not visible in the keybinds. :)
That's awesome! I'd never figured it out without asking :mrgreen: Thank you!

pango

Post by pango »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:50 am Can we also stack them into two columns on the top left corner so that they aren't in the middle of your view?
PR #1567 adds a few layouts, including more "columnar" ones. I kept the "buffs top, debuffs bottom" logic from classic in the proposed layouts, but it is not hardcoded and more layouts could be added.

There will be some issue when the large HUD is added, because the position of anything at the bottom of the screen will have to take into account whether the HUD is enabled or not, so we'll see how things turn out... but at least that's something that's being worked on.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

JohnBeavers

Post by JohnBeavers »

Interkarma wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:00 pm I'd be happy to simply remove the black background and wait for feedback. If anyone actually champions it, then a simple INI toggle can be added for it.
Please do :)
It is easy, after that to create a non transparent icon set. Taht way people will have choice, in my opinion.[quote="King of
I don't know who could champion this. I don't have the technical knowledge to help in any way.
It just thought it was a cool idea^^
King of Worms wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:07 am Nice, this was fast, good change!
That is impressive. One night I blaber things on a forum because It might be a cool idea and when I come back from work the next day it is discussed seriously for next version.
I like this community for that :D

Also, thank you @Pango for digging into that.

I can't wait to see that in-game and create a small version of the icon sheet (that I can do^^ woooh \o/)
Here is my Youtube channel if you are ever interested (FR): https://www.youtube.com/user/JohnBeaversYT/