Brand New To Modding And Need Help

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Noobsaibot5768

Brand New To Modding And Need Help

Post by Noobsaibot5768 »

Little bit of backstory, I want dual wielding to look good in Daggerfall Unity. Let me be clear, I don't mean attacking with both weapons, because I know that would require a complete change to the core combat system. What I noticed upon booting the game is that there is an option to draw weapons on the left side of the screen. Then I started thinking, what if there was a mod that let you have both of your equipped weapons out at once, and when you switch between the two hands you'll swing with the appropriate weapon on whichever side. For example, Steel Sabre in right hand and Silver Dagger in left hand, both showing at the same time in their respective hands.

Well turns out, this mod doesn't exist. I want it to exist, so I opened up the Unity Editor and now I'm lost. I've been following the modding tutorials along with some advice for the proposed mod that I got from some kind users on Reddit, but now I'm lost at "Then open Daggerfall Workshop > Mod Builder..."

What does that mean? Where do I find the mod builder?

Interkarma

Re: Brand New To Modding And Need Help

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums. :) I'll move this one to modder discussion where it should get the most exposure.

To create mods for Daggerfall Unity, you'll need the following to get started:
  • Unity, specifically Unity 2018.2.21f1 from here.
  • Clone of the source code from GitHub. This contains all of the code and internal tools for the game, such as the Mod Builder.
  • A code editor. I recommend VSCode if you don't already have a preference.
Something that helps everyone is to create your own GitHub repo and fork the code. Using version control is very helpful in general, and sharing your source for others helps drive the mod scene forwards.

I created a video for cloning source using GitHub desktop a few years ago. It's slightly out of date now, but the general process hasn't changed much.

https://youtu.be/Okv_NTSg2rw

Noobsaibot5768

Post by Noobsaibot5768 »

Interkarma wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:38 am Welcome to the forums. :) I'll move this one to modder discussion where it should get the most exposure.

To create mods for Daggerfall Unity, you'll need the following to get started:
  • Unity, specifically Unity 2018.2.21f1 from here.
  • Clone of the source code from GitHub. This contains all of the code and internal tools for the game, such as the Mod Builder.
  • A code editor. I recommend VSCode if you don't already have a preference.
Something that helps everyone is to create your own GitHub repo and fork the code. Using version control is very helpful in general, and sharing your source for others helps drive the mod scene forwards.

I created a video for cloning source using GitHub desktop a few years ago. It's slightly out of date now, but the general process hasn't changed much.

https://youtu.be/Okv_NTSg2rw

Thank you so much, I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

First off welcome.

This will require you to recode the fpsweapon and weaponmanager script. If you are not a strong coder, this will probably be out of your range and require a good amount of C# and coding learning.

I can tell you how to do it, as this hits into my combat overhaul mod work.

First, you need to get the weapon to show up. In order to do this, you will need to replicate a rect object in the fpsweapon script, assign the cif sprite you want to use to the rect object, and position it using the position routines. You would also need to program in a trigger to switch between which rect object/sprite the ienumorator routine animates on swinging.

Second, you need to rework the weaponmanager script to ensure the proper weapon stats/variables are pulled when a enemy hit is detected and it begins calculating hit chance and then hit damage. The weaponmanager script is coded for only a single rect object/weapon at a time currently, so it wouldn't know which one you are using.

The second can be done in a mod file. The first I do not believe can be done yet without directly hijacking and recoding the fpsweapon script.

If you want more information, check out these two threads, where all this is being heavily discussed, coding descriptions and language are provided, and comments and concerns are discussed.

My Combat Mod Thread
viewtopic.php?f=14&p=33217#p33217

Explanation of weapon rendering and animation system with discussions.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2554

Also, if you want, I can try to tack this into my development cycle, if you feel it is too much for you to tackle. Not a bad option to provide to players.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.