Persistent Dungeons

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
pango

Re: Persistent Dungeons

Post by pango »

Yes, for the same reason it also removes some tension related to diseases and poisons. You now have the option to exit the dungeon, travel to the closest temple to get cured, and go back to where you were interrupted. A bit cumbersome, but often better than the previously available options...
Last edited by pango on Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

Well if you're on a timed quest you could fail it by running out of time.

Blowingsand

Post by Blowingsand »

I lose interest with games that respawn (like the diablos and titan quest), so I'm excited about this mod, but after reading these comments, I'm a little hesitant.

It has been out for awhile now, so are you a "persistent" user? Could you confirm that this mod does what it is supposed to do?

If multiple quests revisit the same dungeon will it still be empty?

pango

Post by pango »

The only bug I'm aware of is that if you use the Recall spell to get out of a dungeon it will not be correctly recorded and will spawn loot and enemies when you re-enter.
-- Charles Goodhart

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

pango wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:30 am The only bug I'm aware of is that if you use the Recall spell to get out of a dungeon it will not be correctly recorded and will spawn loot and enemies when you re-enter.
But recalling back in will work? So you just have to set an anchor, find your way out and can then teleport back to where you left?

pango

Post by pango »

The other way around does indeed work, if I remember my last tests correctly.
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

I created a bugfix PR but it's mostly guesswork...
-- Charles Goodhart

Blowingsand

Post by Blowingsand »

This mod absolutely does not work.
My first quest at a harpy-filled dungeon and every time I walk out all the harpies respawn.
I've killed over 20 harpies, can't find the feathers (for the quest) and am bored to tears.
I'm using using the 0-0-0 presets.
I repeat - this hoax is... I am sad.

pango

Post by pango »

Well, it seems obvious to me that if you keep "max days to remember dungeon" and "max number of dungeons to remember" at 0, you basically disable all the features of this mod.

I do agree that this makes "all zeroes" very bad defaults!

Maybe we could all suggest values and pick reasonable ones (or worse case take the average), here are mine:
  • Max Game Days To Remember Dungeon: 30
  • Corpse Decay Time: 4
  • Max Number Of Dungeons To Remember: 5
Rationale: the most important parameter for me is the first one, as I think persistence shouldn't depend on you but only on time. The latter is there just to avoid performance bad case, if player hops from dungeon to dungeon (but if it's not a big deal performance-wise, maybe it could be increased a bit).
Corpses delay time is less important, I suspect that in fresh dungeons corpses would decay slowly, and until new monsters are back there should be nobody to get rid of them, realistically it should be a higher number. I set it low for gameplay reasons, so that you can't replace having a wagon with doing trips between dungeons and nearest shops to fully loot it. Does it also help performance, I don't know, depend on how corpses are disposed...
-- Charles Goodhart

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Well, it seems obvious to me that if you keep "max days to remember dungeon" and "max number of dungeons to remember" at 0, you basically disable all the features of this mod.
From the description in the first page:
Max Game Days To Remember Dungeon - Set how many in-game days to track dungeons. Set to 0 for unlimited time.
Corpse Decay Time - How many in-game days before enemy corpses go away. Corpses will take their loot with them. Set to 0 for unlimited time.
Max Number of Dungeons To Remember - The maximum number of dungeons to keep track of. If this is exceeded, stored data for dungeons will be removed starting with the oldest. Set to 0 for unlimited number of dungeons to remember.
So those would appear to be reasonable defaults, maybe something's broken in the interpretation of 0 in the mod loader?