a couple of ideas

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
meritamas

a couple of ideas

Post by meritamas »

I am new to Daggerfall altogether, so if need be just point me in the right direction and show me what I need to read to get an answer.

I like it if a RPG is realistic.

There are some features I encountered in later elder scrolls games that - implemeted as a mod - might make Daggerfall more enjoyable to me.
1. Alchemy performed by the player. Perhaps under some conditions, like specialized equipment present in your house.
2. Enchantment performed by the player. It would require high stats in the relevant fields, and possibly special circumstances, but I think it would be good is this was possible.
3. Books from the rest of Tamriel. I have an impression that in Oblivion the PC can read a copious amount of books on a variety of topics, research lore etc. I think if more books could be found in Daggerfall, it would enhance the experience. I think the best places to place such books would be in main libraries, or as rare things to find in sacred or special.
4. Oblivion, the Daedric realm. In Oblivion I read some lore that there were ways to try and enter the realm of Deadra even before all hell broke lose. They involved special places and you needed to meet several conditions. I think such a possibility might be an enhancement to Daggerfall later on. I don't see any reason why one or more such a special place could not be in High Rock or Hammerfell...

Other ideas.
- Food. The fatigue and magicka systems of Daggerfall seem much more realistic in comparison to Morrowind and especially to Oblivion, but still, there is the issue that you don't need food to survive. Do you see any (feasible) way to fix this in a mod to Daggerfall Unity?
- Extending the map. Do you see any feasible way the map could be extended to further areas of Tamriel?
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

My main quest in the DFU community is my (Mostly) Magic Mod.

hannafamilycomputer

Re: a couple of ideas

Post by hannafamilycomputer »

On the food idea, maybe create a disease that lowers your max fatigue when you haven't eaten in a while. Maybe call it "malnutrition" or "starvation".

Maybe someone could copy the code for the lycanthropy/vampirism feeding and modify it, and since you could live for up to three weeks without eating, the timers for those could be close enough. (Though it would be kind of weird having to eat both a person and dine at a tavern the same day, if using the food system that already exists for roleplaying purposes.)

An obvious problem with that is there are no innkeepers in dungeons, so it could create problems if you are starving in a dungeon. I've never done anything related to daggerfall other than play it, but the most difficult part would probily be to create food that you could carry into the dungeons.
(Not including the script that would have to be created for the effect for both the portable items and the food from the innkeepers menu. You could get rid of the innkeeper effect and have the food go into the inventory, but it still would need the sprites and weights for each food item)

That said, I don't know how daggerfall unity works, but seeing the systems that exist, it looks feasible, but also like a lot of work. Maybe if someone makes a survival mod or something.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

D
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Alchemy: As said, it's allready in the game and it is not really used. I think because by the time you have the recipes, ingredients, and access to making potions you allready have a bunch of magic items and access to potion sellers. The potion making is completely uninteresting by that point.
A way to fix it might be to make it available much earlier in guild ranks and make potion recipes available in alchemists, bookstors and/or libraries.

Food: Using a disease would work perfectly for this. Only problem I can think of: Is it possible to have multiple diseases? If not, this mod would make you immune to dieases.
Barring that, this is how I could see it working:
An uncurable disease called Starvation. It has an idle time where it is not detectable for 12 (or 24?) hours. When it stops idling, it gives a debuff to Endurance that increses over time. When your Endurance hits 0, you die.
Innkeepers get a new Food & Drink choice called "Rations" which costs 20 gold. It gives you 10 rations, which is an item that uses some generic "bag" or package icon. Each time you use one Ration the diease is reset.
Use of the other food choices in the innkeeper menu could give you immunity to the disease for a while. So if you're in town for a bit you can just eat at the inn and not be bothered by the food mechanic for a bit.

While we're talking about the inkeeper: maybe the alcohol choices could give you temporary poisoning that debuffs agility and speed and gets cumulatively worse for each drink. So one drink: you are poisoned by "Tipsy" which has a small debuff. Take another drink: "Tipsy" gets cured and you are poisoned by "Inebriated" then "Drunk" and finally "Hammered". You could even have Drunk and Hammered get turned into "Hung Over" :D
If you really want to get creative, you could have positive buffs as well, like "Tipsy" giving you some +Personality.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

D
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Ommamar wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:17 pm I think you could create a separate flag for hunger using the code for disease to get the effect you want but not defining it as a disease
Yeah, vampirism and lycantrophy are already diseases that aren't really diseases in a mechanical sense.

Sean10M

Post by Sean10M »

To note. In lore vampires don't need to eat. So if you became a vampire this hunger system wouldn't be needed. Werewolves I recon should be able to fill it by killing people (as werewolves eat people. Enemy mobs can count to this).

Such a system will likely need new food items though. Provisions will probably be something you can buy from general stores and find in dungeons on enemies and such.