Some Custom Quests

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
theJF

Some Custom Quests

Post by theJF »

Updated: 20 June 2020

Right now there are 21 quests:
4xFighters
4xKnights
3xMages
2xTemple
2xNobility
6xCommoners/Merchants

I recently learnt how to properly end quests successfully. I forget exactly how that works right now but any quest that ended without the player being paid in gold was not registering the quest as a success. So that was sorted out.

There are still a couple of things I'm not happy with. I haven't figured out how to use the rumours system properly so in a couple of quests you are directed to find a person in a town but the only thing you can talk to people about is the house where that person is located, under the "Where is location...General" option. I know there are one or two cosmetic things, like female NPCs with male sprites or vice-versa.

Once I've sorted those things out and added enough new quests to give each faction (except for DB and Thieves, which I'm not interested in) at least 5 quests then I'll probably stick it on Nexus.

The zip download URL is:
https://github.com/theJFDragon/daggerfa ... master.zip

Many thanks to Jay for blazing the trail.

Here is some info about the quests:
Spoiler!
Fighters
Bounty on the Mutiny (rank 4) - Kill a gang of bandits in a cemetery and then hunt down their leader in a dungeon.
Sticky Fingers (rank 2) - There is a thief in the guild. Which of the 3 suspects is guilty?
Best the Beastmaster (rank 1) - A very generic dungeon crawl. Created during a Stream or Youtube video, I forget which.
ImpEx Courier Service (non-members) - Simple delivery quests with random branches.

Knights
Runaround (rank 2) - Deliver a ransom to a kidnapper by running around town under a time limit. Inspired by Dirty Harry.
And Then There Was One (rank 7) - A cabal of aristocratic criminals are above the law. Put them down.
Star Chamber (rank 4) - A collection of simple vigilante/bounty quests.
A Dish Served Cold (rank 5) - Avenge a fellow Knight's brother by killing Orcs. But what other secrets lie in the dungeon?

Mages
Attack the Clones (rank 3) - Kill a mage who is cloning himself and his girlfriend. And not in the good way.
The Three Dungeons (rank 4) - Patience-testing trawl through 3 random dungeons. For those who really love dungeons.
Rent-a-Ghost (rank 3) - The Mages and Fighters are scamming the citizens by summoning ghosts who have to be killed, for a price of course.

Temples
The Morning After (rank 5) - Naughty priests have been summoning sexy demons for a "ritual". You have to "clean up". Save before taking this quest because I've occasionally seen it fail because the quest engine doesn't register that you have reached the target location. But it seems inconsistent; mostly it works ok.
Certified Exorcised (rank 2) - The Temple wants you to sell certificates that prove the buyer has been cleansed of daedric possession.

Nobles
Troubleshooter - This noble has business troubles and wants you to sort them out.
Market Forces - "You offer them a dollar. If they give you a hard time, kill them."

Commoners/Merchants
Incredible Bulk - Rescue the questor's brother from a giant that "suddenly appeared"...
Speaking in Tongues - The questor has a speech impediment. Is it an ancient daedric curse, an unusual disease or a magic-based prank gone wrong?
Doctor You - An expanded version of the "cure my relative" quest. If you lack the medical or restorative knowledge you'll have to gather ingredients.
Dungeon Master - An old explorer will give you the locations of a whole load of dungeons if you bring back some gold he needs.
Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling - Questor wants you to find his girlfriend. There are some random reasons as to what happened.
Jar Jar High Jinks - A bad joke quest. Are you strong enough to open the jar of fruit preserve?
Last edited by theJF on Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hazelnut

Re: Some Custom Quests

Post by Hazelnut »

Great to see another quest author arrive on the scene. Look forward to seeing the finished product.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I'd test them myself but am entirely plucked out of the DFU scene for now. Otherwise I would've already given them a review and feedback ;)

Leeux

Post by Leeux »

Always love new quests and more things to do! I've been following @theJF YouTube channel and looking forward to playing with some extra quests in the future!

However, still on my first DFU playthrough atm, and for now I'm sticking with only base Daggerfall's quests only... on my second character I plan to go wild with quest additions, including Jay's pack too! And I'll be probably using the Archaeologist mod too :)

theJF

Post by theJF »

Jay_H wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:22 pm I'd test them myself but am entirely plucked out of the DFU scene for now. Otherwise I would've already given them a review and feedback ;)
No worries my dude. I'm a bit tapped out myself. Take care ;)

BoneofMalkav

Post by BoneofMalkav »

Will love trying these out tonight. Problem, you forgot to include install instructions. What do? :P

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Make a folder in StreamingAssets/QuestPacks called JF and extract all the files in there. That should get picked up I think.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

theJF

Post by theJF »

Oops! Indeed you are correct Hazelnut, thank you. I will put some instructions with the quest files later today.

Edit: zip file in first post now contains instructions and primitive change log.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I've taken some time to test these. They show great work of mechanics -- well done. I like the lore tie-ins, like how 006 explains yet another reason why the Fighters Guild is always fighting off critters in local homes :lol: Now, my feedback.

006: The introduction text should give some indication of the nature of the quest, since some characters are pacifists, others are squeamish, and so on. If it were only using the summoning gem inside the home there'd be little issue, but having to fight critters inside the guild hall is a big and unpleasant twist for someone not expecting it. Also, ghosts and wraiths aren't lore-friendly for the Fighters Guild quest ;)

004: The spawn rate inside the dungeon is blindingly quick. This is something I almost always set too high in my own quests because it's hard to judge. Try to set it in a way that allows players to rest at least 3 hours between encounters:

spawn enemy every 60 minutes with 50% chance: likely spawn every 120 minutes, too fast
spawn enemy every 120 minutes with 50% chance: likely spawn every 240 minutes, decent
spawn enemy every 360 minutes with 25% chance: likely spawn every 1440 minutes, some may never see the enemy

002: Text block 1026 uses %g1 but it doesn't shift to female if the subject is, like in my test case. For %g1 to reflect gender properly the _name_ symbol has to precede it. I really like the setup on this one. I recognize the culprit's always going to be #2, but it's still got a great depth to it. Not at all what I'm used to with the Fighters Guild, and that's good.

008: The spawn rates in the dungeon are appropriate. For my DB001 quest, I made sure the animals only spawn during the day hours, in case the player needs a break. You don't have to do that, but it could be useful to let them rest appropriately if needed. Not sure if people need it. Make sure you give feedback when you've killed the right quest enemy(!!!!!!). A text box when you enter the right dungeon may also give people assurances they're in the right place. I was given a little something extra at the end but don't know what it was.

003: This was quite clever. Is the Fighters Guild the right group to do this, though? In any case, I'm getting some major "Payday for Ray" vibes from it. This is always hard to time because you never know how people are going to do this, especially if they have to ask townspeople for directions. The overall timer is inappropriate, though; I turned in the ransom and waited 3 hours, and was told that the Thieves Guild would return the person in pieces. It should be like a day long and not give that failure message or something when you've already successfully turned in the payment.

001: WOW what an ambush at the cemetery! There should be fewer or spawn slower, because those numbers are overwhelming for arrow-shooting classes. The time limit was too short; I traveled recklessly and with inns the whole time and still couldn't make it back to the Fighters Guild in time.

Most of the dungeon quests sent me to ancient crypts. Don't forget you can change the dungeon type with dungeon0, dungeon5, etc in the definition section.

I'll update this with more as I continue.

theJF

Post by theJF »

Thanks J, lots of juicy feedback that will really help!