(Quieter Monsters) You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to Daggerfall?

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
BadLuckBurt

Re: You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to Daggerfall?

Post by BadLuckBurt »

You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to the forums?
Spoiler!
If the subject of a post actually indicated what the post is about.

On a sidenote, one has to wonder how those skeletons are screaming, they have no vocal chords :lol:
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Jay_H

Re: (Quieter Monsters) You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to Daggerfall?

Post by Jay_H »

I updated the thread title to give more indication ;)

dashyr89

Re: (Quieter Monsters) You know what I feel would be a huge improvement to Daggerfall?

Post by dashyr89 »

Jay_H wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:48 pm I updated the thread title to give more indication ;)
Was just about to do it. :D

Well thank you. ;)

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:46 pm On a sidenote, one has to wonder how those skeletons are screaming, they have no vocal chords :lol:
They also have no muscle, and yet they move :lol:

pango

Post by pango »

dashyr89 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:21 pm It ain't clickbait if I feel it would truely be an improvement.
This is a sophism that's easily debunked.
I'm sure all people writing in forums are convinced their posts are worth being read, so by your argument everybody should be entitled to use meaningless topics. Now imagine how the forums would look like after a month if everybody did, it would have become a terrible mess.
dashyr89 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:21 pm If you want to call it clickbait just because it dosen't fit within your point of view, that's on you.
That's so crooked, do some people do that?
If I did, I would have said "skeletons are annoying on purpose, get over it" :D
But instead I took the question seriously.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

dashyr89

Post by dashyr89 »

pango wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:26 pm
dashyr89 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:21 pm It ain't clickbait if I feel it would truely be an improvement.
This is a sophism that's easily debunked.
I'm sure all people writing in forums are convinced their posts are worth being read, so by your argument everybody should be entitled to use meaningless topics. Now imagine how the forums would look like after a month if everybody did, it would have become a terrible mess.
dashyr89 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:21 pm If you want to call it clickbait just because it dosen't fit within your point of view, that's on you.
That's so crooked, do some people do that?
If I did, I would have said "skeletons are annoying on purpose, get over it" :D
But instead I took the question seriously.
The mod worked by the way. Way less drum bursting with it.

pango

Post by pango »

That EnemySounds class was really interesting to study...

Code: Select all

public bool LinearRolloff = true;           // Linear rolloff is more Daggerfall-like
            if (LinearRolloff)
                dfAudioSource.AudioSource.rolloffMode = AudioRolloffMode.Linear;
First off, the enemy sounds decrease linearly, while the default used almost everywhere is logarithmic (which decays faster with distance) because it usually feels more natural.
One could argue that caves propagate sounds better, but in any case that's certainly one of the reasons why monsters sound so loud from afar, even with walls dampening.

private void PlayAttractSound()
        {
            // Humans must be flagged to play sounds
            if (IgnoreHumanSounds())
                return;
        private bool IgnoreHumanSounds()
        {
            if (mobile.Summary.Enemy.ID > 127 && mobile.Summary.Enemy.ID != 146 && MuteHumanSounds)
                return true;
            else
                return false;
        }
This shows how humans sounds are specifically muted; So it would be easy to mute other types of monsters.
However hearing monsters has tactical benefits, so that looks a bit extreme.

// Random chance favors bark sound
            if (Random.value > 0.8f)
                dfAudioSource.AudioSource.PlayOneShot(moveClip, volumeScale * DaggerfallUnity.Settings.SoundVolume);
            else
                dfAudioSource.AudioSource.PlayOneShot(barkClip, volumeScale * DaggerfallUnity.Settings.SoundVolume);
4/5th of the time monsters bark/scream/whatever, and only 1/5th of the time they make walking sounds.
Tweaking that could be another way to make monsters sounds less annoying (hopefully).

So lots of opportunities for modding that class, if somebody is up to it.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

dashyr89 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:28 am Are we really going to apply logic to the elder scrolls? Then what about sound propagation then? Why the hell can't I hear the muffled screams around the corner instead of hearing them through a 6 feet thick stone ceiling?
No, of course not.

We're going to apply tonal architecture to the Elder Scrolls. Now get to figuring those sound-based questions out! :P
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

I don't see why this couldn't be part of the AI options. I mean, we've already got enemies killing each other, which substantially lowers difficulty. This one could actually make the game play better. If monsters didn't warn you of their existence behind that door/wall/corner by vocalizing, there would be a lot more scary moments of bumping into enemies.

dashyr89

Post by dashyr89 »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:42 am I don't see why this couldn't be part of the AI options. I mean, we've already got enemies killing each other, which substantially lowers difficulty. This one could actually make the game play better. If monsters didn't warn you of their existence behind that door/wall/corner by vocalizing, there would be a lot more scary moments of bumping into enemies.
Yeah, the fighting each other parts is something I find odd. Perhaps they think it would make the game better that way but as you said it makes it easier. Not even mentioning that when you start thinking about it.... Why do they start killing eachother only when you arrive?