I made a huge mistake. / Build suggestions?

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Ralzar

Re: I made a huge mistake. / Build suggestions?

Post by Ralzar »

Oh, yeah. Excluded plate without knowing what that meant. Ouch :D
I am still hopefull that someone figures out how to mod in leather ans chain at some point.

Each region in Daggerfall has a main Diety. Most temples will be to this diety. For example, the Daggerfall region has Kynareth.

Here’s a list of regions and dieties:

https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Re ... aggerfall)

pango

Post by pango »

If you don't want to switch region just yet, you can also ask "Where Is > Regional" questions around to learn locations of temples of your alignment...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

dashyr89

Post by dashyr89 »

pango wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:17 am If you don't want to switch region just yet, you can also ask "Where Is > Regional" questions around to learn locations of temples of your alignment...
Thank you.

dashyr89

Post by dashyr89 »

Ralzar wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:03 am Oh, yeah. Excluded plate without knowing what that meant. Ouch :D
I am still hopefull that someone figures out how to mod in leather ans chain at some point.

Each region in Daggerfall has a main Diety. Most temples will be to this diety. For example, the Daggerfall region has Kynareth.

Here’s a list of regions and dieties:

https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Re ... aggerfall)
I mean, I'll get used to it. Could be worse. I could have only allowed leather... At the very least I'll be even more excited when I start finding enchanted armor pieces. Still feels that is a quite odd design choice given the massive scale of everything else.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

It's probably not a "design choice" but a "out of time choice".

If you have a chainmail armour, you can edit your save data to make it any color (like deadric, orcish etc), so the visual stuff for chainmail is allready there.
However, I started messing with the plate armour items to see if I could convert them into chainmail and realized that there's some crazy stuff going on where there is one data field that defines the item name, picture and its armour rating.

So I can take a ChainMail Cuirass, edit one datapoint in the save and make it become a grey "Deadric Plate" with deadric plate armour rating.
Because color is a separate data point (so it keeps the chainmail grey), but picture, name and armour rating are all controlled by the same datapoint.

So you can edit in a red chainmail with chainmail stats. Or you can edit in a grey deadric plate with deadric plate stats. But you can't edit in a red chainmail with deadric plate stats.

Which I assume is why chainmail has never been modded into the game. The foundation for it is missing in whatever databases original daggerfall shipped with. Or it's there, but unused, like so many half-finished ideas in Daggerfall.
It's problably doable to mod in, but would take quite a bit more work than it appears to from the outside.

dashyr89

Post by dashyr89 »

Ralzar wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:54 am It's probably not a "design choice" but a "out of time choice".

If you have a chainmail armour, you can edit your save data to make it any color (like deadric, orcish etc), so the visual stuff for chainmail is allready there.
However, I started messing with the plate armour items to see if I could convert them into chainmail and realized that there's some crazy stuff going on where there is one data field that defines the item name, picture and its armour rating.

So I can take a ChainMail Cuirass, edit one datapoint in the save and make it become a grey "Deadric Plate" with deadric plate armour rating.
Because color is a separate data point (so it keeps the chainmail grey), but picture, name and armour rating are all controlled by the same datapoint.

So you can edit in a red chainmail with chainmail stats. Or you can edit in a grey deadric plate with deadric plate stats. But you can't edit in a red chainmail with deadric plate stats.

Which I assume is why chainmail has never been modded into the game. The foundation for it is missing in whatever databases original daggerfall shipped with. Or it's there, but unused, like so many half-finished ideas in Daggerfall.
It's problably doable to mod in, but would take quite a bit more work than it appears to from the outside.
If this is like many other games using a database to store items. There is surely a flag that identify its armor class. Must be a way to clone existing armors and build up from there. Unless it works on some weird ass system I never saw... Only thing I ever modded in my life involved the Quake 3 engine so yeah... I dont know xD

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

dashyr89 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:01 am Unless it works on some weird ass system I never saw...
Welcome to Daggerfall! :D

dashyr89

Post by dashyr89 »

Ralzar wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:52 am
dashyr89 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:01 am Unless it works on some weird ass system I never saw...
Welcome to Daggerfall! :D
"for tomorrow you sail for the Kingdom of Daggerfall."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM9rZup ... F&index=30