Will you purchase TES VI?

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Firebrand

Re: Will you purchase TES VI?

Post by Firebrand »

I'll read the reviews, I'll make my mind :)
Honestly, how can you decide now? Based on hypothesis? :?:

BTW, for now I've played Skyrim (416 hours), Oblivion (260 hours) and Daggerfall (not counted, but I think about 40-50 hours - I've still not played through the main quest).

They're very different. For now I'm not sure if I prefer Oblivion or Skyrim, they've got their strengths and their weaknesses. For example, Skyrim is much more immediate, without all that stats nonsense ( :lol: ), Stealth is much better, companion AI is much better, you can make a family, and general NPC AI is much, much better. On the other hand, I really, really love Oblivion and Shivering Isles main quests, combat is much more difficult and intense, and you have to think more, since melee isn't OP like in Skyrim. Also, I really much prefer the beautiful landscape of Cyrodil, and the horrifing presence of the Oblivion Gates and the Oblivion Realm.

Daggerfall has got much, much potential, but it needs to be filled with lots of mods, otherwise it would remain pretty empty compared to his modern sequels.

Sooner or later I'll give a try to Morrowind.

And by the time I'll have finished even Morrowind, maybe we'll be blessed with TES VI. I'm optimistic about it, it surely would be different from Skyrim or his predecessors, people would complain about it, but I'm sure it would be interesting. ;)

MiroslavXO

Post by MiroslavXO »

It's still hard to say what to expect from TES VI, but I'm hoping for new information when they release Starfield, or at least we'll have some sort of a glimpse.
I'm not a fan of Skyrim, but it is also a far better game for me than the hills of the same garbage that various developers fill us with.
I think Todd himself mentioned that they were planning to make something that would be playable for a decade. Now, what did he mean by that we don't know, maybe the whole Nirn? We'll see.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I might if they make something worth buying, which is unlikely but I will wait and see. Hated Oblivion, Skyrim was not a good RPG or ES game, but it was a bit of fun for mucking around - same as FO4 was. Neither were really good games of their respective series. Morrowind was the last real entry in ES series for me.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Skipper

Post by Skipper »

If it will be the same nonsense with microtransactions (creation club), like in fallout 4 and skyrim, then no, not a single penny will go to bethesda from my pockets.

However, I doubt they will come up with a good product. As a studio, they were getting more and more incompetent with each new game after daggerfall. The only thing that got some progress are visuals, but even those always were 5 years behind the rest of the industry.

If those games did not support mods, they would be one of hype'n'forget games. Games that you buy, play once, and never touch again.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

D
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I wouldn't give Zenimax any of my money. Donald Trump's brother is on the board of directors and the CEO is a banking criminal. As their track record shows, you're just asking to get ripped off at this point.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Jammer wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:11 am I wouldn't give Zenimax any of my money. Donald Trump's brother is on the board of directors and the CEO is a banking criminal. As their track record shows, you're just asking to get ripped off at this point.
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Ommamar wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:33 pm I expect TES VI to be around the $60 dollar amount on release if I do decide to purchase it and get a month of enjoyment out of it will consider it a fair trade for my money.
Jeff Vogel gave a rule that was actually really insightful. He said, "I sell a game for $25 that's likely to give you 25 hours of enjoyment. That's a dollar an hour. Compare that to a movie theater where you're spending $8 for two hours. I'm giving you better value for your buck."

I don't quantify things like that but he has a point :D

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

Not enough info at this point. Will have to see what region they focus on, what they decide to do with it, timeline, systems etc.
Just because a game has a large sandbox-like map, doesn't mean it's good.

Meanwhile I have other non-TES stuff to look forward to.
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

ByteMixer wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:18 pm Just because a game has a large sandbox-like map, doesn't mean it's good.
Honeslty, these days I consider it to mean the game ios bad. All it usually means is a bunch of filler stuff, the actual game stretched out and a Main Storyt that fits akwardly into the rest of the game. Usually summed up as "A mile wide and an inch deep."
Daggerfall is good because the developers had an insanely ambitious idea :D