Playing this game with little to no magic is a purgatory. :( / Got tips?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
dashyr89

Playing this game with little to no magic is a purgatory. :( / Got tips?

Post by dashyr89 »

Well... since I do not have access to potions yet and opted not to use restoration magic on my build (even though I seriously consider try and increasing it JUST enough for cure poison spell....) i am now locked in my own personnal purgatory.

I know spiders are OBVIOUSLY poisonous but I went in careful making sure it dosent actually hit me.... Well, appearantly even thought you get absolutely no cue that you got hit.. (it literally never hit me.) it seems poisoning rolls on a whole different roll than actual hit since I still got poisoned for whatever reasons... So yeah, cucked my save file so I had to cheat a bit while I process that new information that feels kind of forced and unnatural to me. Usually games make that kind of poisoning checks when you get hit.... Am I understanding the situation right and the game really works like this or did I got hit way earlier with poison and only noticed it now? Just trying to make sense out of this so I can adapt my playstyle accordingly...

Really learning this game the hard way xD

Jay_H

Re: Playing this game with little to no magic is a purgatory. :( / Got tips?

Post by Jay_H »

90% of Daggerfall success is character generation. If you make a bad character, you're going to lose, no exceptions.

Just make sure you're immune to poison and paralysis. Everything else has a reasonable non-magical solution.

dashyr89

Post by dashyr89 »

Jay_H wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:11 pm 90% of Daggerfall success is character generation. If you make a bad character, you're going to lose, no exceptions.

Just make sure you're immune to poison and paralysis. Everything else has a reasonable non-magical solution.
But assuming I want to overcome that challenge. How is the poisoning check calculated. Is a hit required or is it a completely different check?

I mean.. im a thief.... money ain't an issue and once Ill have a access to potions it shouldnt be much of an issue. (Theres potions for paralysis right?........ right?)

dashyr89

Post by dashyr89 »

Okay, for the hit part I read about the spider. Actually they paralyse so I most likely got hit by one of those thieves and didnt notice the poison.

Still leaves me with the important question. Assuming I get access to buying potions from a temple. I can get Free Action portions and cure poison potions from them right?

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Yes.

There is a couple of general ways to go in Daggerfall:

Magic: Make a spellcaster so you can solve everything by magic.

Temple: Join a temple that sells potions. Alternatively join Julianos temple that sells magic items and travel to temples until you have all essential effects covered by magic items.

Resistances and some luck: Build a character that ignores most of the problems. Often produces a bit cheezy characters.

Stubbornness and savegames: Just insist on making it through even if you sometimes have to sacrefice several hours of gameplay to load back.

As an example, I’ve playd a few characters since I started DFU:

Wood Elf Archer: Tried out DFU with this guy. Archery is akward in dungeons. No armour loot for leather/chain. Slow progress. Made a new character after hitting level6 or so.

High Elf Lord: Long Blade, Etiquette and some magic. No material higher than elven allowed. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=680&p=33050#p33050

Crusader Of Stendarr: This is my "Main". Breton with decent stats in everything. No magic ability but high redistance to magic. Ebony and Deadric not allowed. Finished Main Quest. Survived by starting out joining the Stendarr temple and getting access to potions.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=680&p=33666#p33666

Mage: Newest character. Redguard mage. Uses the prefab mage class. Couldn’t fight a bat. Spent many levels doing non-dungeon quests and dying to wilderness encounters (warm ashes + tedious travel). Failed a few quests and got kicked out of mages guild. Joined temple of julianos and stubbornly kept going. Now uses a heap of magic items supplied by julianos to complete dungeons. At level 10 its starting to work out.

The general rule: Allways have a way to cure poison. Allways have a way to cure disease. Allways have some levitate and breathe water.
Recall is awesome and you should try to get access to it through spells or the archeologist mod, but you can complete the game without it if you are stubborn and have good feel for Daggerfall dungeon maps.