Magicka Regeneration - Ready for testing; definitely not ready for prime-time

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Ralzar

Re: Magicka Regeneration - Ready for testing; definitely not ready for prime-time

Post by Ralzar »

Ok, this changes everything. Low Spell Point characters actually work now.

That said, I would say the default of "Every 6 seconds" is too high. It felt like pretty much never running out of mana with my 200SP mage.
At "Every 1 minute" it felt a lot more like my caster needed a bit of time to collect herself before she could cast spells again. So I had to pace myself.
So personally I would sugges setting the mods default to 1 miute, or maybe make a setting in between at about 30 seconds?

Narf the Mouse

Re: Magicka Regeneration - Ready for testing; definitely not ready for prime-time

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Ralzar wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:56 pm Ok, this changes everything. Low Spell Point characters actually work now.

That said, I would say the default of "Every 6 seconds" is too high. It felt like pretty much never running out of mana with my 200SP mage.
At "Every 1 minute" it felt a lot more like my caster needed a bit of time to collect herself before she could cast spells again. So I had to pace myself.
So personally I would sugges setting the mods default to 1 miute, or maybe make a setting in between at about 30 seconds?
The default of "every 6 seconds" was set with a level 1 test mage. Higher-level mages get both more powerful spells, and cheaper spells, so yeah, that could be a bit of a problem. ;)

A 30-second setting does sound like it'd fit, but long-term, I want it to just be "select unit of time, type unit number in text box."

Also, spell costs need a mod, but I barely got this out, so... I haven't slept. I wanted to get this out, finally. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Aaaand it broke something :D

I can cast one spell. Then my spell book displays my Magica as -<some huge number>/200 and no spells are castable.

I restarted the game and it worked fine again.

Edit: hate to say it, but this is a bit too unstable at the moment. I'm getting a lot of wonky results that can only be fixed by rebooting the game. Seems like some part of the mod carries over when you load a save. I might still use it though, because the gameplay improvement was so drastic for this character :)

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Ralzar wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:36 pm Aaaand it broke something :D

I can cast one spell. Then my spell book displays my Magica as -<some huge number>/200 and no spells are castable.

I restarted the game and it worked fine again.

Edit: hate to say it, but this is a bit too unstable at the moment. I'm getting a lot of wonky results that can only be fixed by rebooting the game. Seems like some part of the mod carries over when you load a save. I might still use it though, because the gameplay improvement was so drastic for this character :)
Thanks. I have a few ideas on where the problem might be, and will try to fix after I've gotten some rest.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Edit: Well, at some point, I evidently thought that the magicka regeneration would work better if everyone with a Magicka Regeneration script also had "Inability to Regen Spell Points." I can definitely see this confusing the game.

Also, there may be a rollover glitch, but probably not.

And on a last thought - Does Daggerfall Unity reload custom scripts? Probably not; but I should probably also check scanned entities to see if they already have a magicka regeneration script. It does have a filter, but there's a possible failure state if it does reload custom scripts.

Also, what am I doing??

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:06 pm Also, what am I doing??
From the looks of things: Making Daggerfall even better, one blundering step at a time :lol:

darkner11

Post by darkner11 »

Thank you for this mod, Narf! This will open up many character build possibilities!! :D

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Ralzar wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:33 pm
Narf the Mouse wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:06 pm Also, what am I doing??
From the looks of things: Making Daggerfall even better, one blundering step at a time :lol:
...I resemble that remark!

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

I have fixed some blunders, and quite possibly made one or two more. Such is programming. See the first post for details, and v0.5.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Can't you use some quote/code/spoiler blocks in your initial post Narf? It's hard to see what's relevant to the common user and what isn't :|