Weapon repair kits

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Ommamar

Weapon repair kits

Post by Ommamar »

There is a thread in the Help and support section that brought up how there is no difference between a new and a used weapon as far as effectiveness go. A field repair kit was mentioned as a possible mod idea, I think that is a good idea so lets talk about how one might be implemented.
First the only real motivation to repair a weapon is so it won't break but if you had a sliding scale of damage as the weapon got worn it would make it much more of a big deal to make sure you repaired your weapon on a continuous basis.

The next question is how would you implement the repair kit? One of my thoughts is that although it would keep your weapon serviceable it shouldn't raise it to the durability level that a shop would. I also think that the over all durability of the item should slowly degrade the more it is repaired, either in the field or a shop although I think the drop of repair from a shop should be less then a field repair.

The last thought is what price they should be and at what shop you can get them. I think the field repair kit would be 70% of what it would cost to repair a fully used item back to new. In the long run they might save you money but the main motivation would be that you wouldn't end up at the bottom of a dungeon with a broken weapon. There is also the question of repairing magic weapons as it is generally considered a harder thing to do in fantasy settings.

As to the shop I would say pawn brokers and general stores would be the most logical. An armor/weapon shop would want to repair your item not sell you something that would help you repair it yourself.

I am sure it will be mentioned so let me be preemptive, yes I know there are enchants you can put on items that will repair other items using a item enchanting NPC. This would fall under a role play I don't want to use magic build but also be something someone could use until they where able to enchant items.

Ommamar

Re: Weapon repair kits

Post by Ommamar »

I guess this might be in the wrong section for a discussion to start. Could a moderator move it to the mods general discussion forum, please.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Hmm... Perhaps a repair kit could only repair 50% of the damage of a mundane weapon, and 25% of the damage of a magic weapon? The mod would need to keep track of the total damage a weapon has taken.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:59 pm Hmm... Perhaps a repair kit could only repair 50% of the damage of a mundane weapon, and 25% of the damage of a magic weapon? The mod would need to keep track of the total damage a weapon has taken.
I'd say none for magic items (would need a spell for that, if anything), and it cold never repair an item up to more than "Used".

While we're talking about repair , I wish the max hitpoints of an item was reduced a bit each time you repaired it, so all items eventually got so worn out from use you no longer could repair it to "New".
The game needs more money sinks ;)

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Ralzar wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:16 pm
Narf the Mouse wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:59 pm Hmm... Perhaps a repair kit could only repair 50% of the damage of a mundane weapon, and 25% of the damage of a magic weapon? The mod would need to keep track of the total damage a weapon has taken.
I'd say none for magic items (would need a spell for that, if anything), and it cold never repair an item up to more than "Used".

While we're talking about repair , I wish the max hitpoints of an item was reduced a bit each time you repaired it, so all items eventually got so worn out from use you no longer could repair it to "New".
The game needs more money sinks ;)
A spell to repair magic items is too easy, IMO; one day and your magicka is back. OTOH, there is already a "repair items" enchantment that repairs items over time and, IIRC, works on magic items. So needing an enchanted repair kit to repair magic items makes sense. As to maximum amount of repair, "no more than Used" is a very binary limit, and it makes sense that you couldt smooth out a tiny ding in your sword, even though it wouldn't be quite as good as new afterwards.

As for reducing maximum hit points, that's basically what I suggested with only being able to repair half the damage. So at this point, I'm really confused by your post. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:07 pm As for reducing maximum hit points, that's basically what I suggested with only being able to repair half the damage. So at this point, I'm really confused by your post. :)
I was talking about both repair kits and repair services. Although thinking about it, it would be nice if repair services permanently damaged items less than if you did it yourself.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Ahh discussion! I like how your are both thinking I have done my share of blacksmithing which where I grew up also meant shoeing horses. If possible I always preferred to do this next to my free standing forge as fitting a horseshoe is a process of adjustments, usually at my actual forge it took two maybe three adjustments. If I had to go with my smaller portable forge it took as much as eight different adjustments. I think this could be replicated by only letting a field repair kit get a piece of equipment back to the mentioned used level.
I also like the idea of items wearing out through use to the point where they wouldn't be repairable. Another real life example my father had a ton of equipment to sharpen knives. He was sent a big box of kitchen knives to sharpen for his brother it was one of the skill he thought would be useful to me so I got voluntold to help him. The problem was the blades of these knives had been beat to hell for some reason so the blades did something called serpentine. This is different then a smith made serpentine blade although it presents some of the same difficulties. When this happens to a blade not designed for it bends in the back of the blade occur this transfers down to the edge of the blade. The end result is it is nearly impossible to put a continuous edge on the blade. You end up with places that due to the angle they are twisted at will never take an edge where other places will be sharp but take the brunt of the work the edge has to perform thus making them dull out exponentially more then they would if the blade was straight. So while a nick on a blade would be a bad thing the serpentine of the blade caused by high impacts is much worse.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

A repair kit would be a pretty heavy item. With limited uses?

Oh wait, of course: The repair kit gets worn down by use itself. Basically, you transfer HP from the repair kit to the item you are repairing :)

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Ralzar wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:10 pm
Narf the Mouse wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:07 pm As for reducing maximum hit points, that's basically what I suggested with only being able to repair half the damage. So at this point, I'm really confused by your post. :)
I was talking about both repair kits and repair services. Although thinking about it, it would be nice if repair services permanently damaged items less than if you did it yourself.
My own interpretation of blacksmith repair services is that, if the weapon was damaged enough, it was a bit of a "my grandfather's axe" fix. ;)
"This is my grandfather's axe. The blade has been replaced two times, and the handle three times."
Dunno where that quote comes from; something I ran across while browsing the internet. :)

Or they literally reforged the blade or something like that.

pango

Post by pango »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:34 pm
"This is my grandfather's axe. The blade has been replaced two times, and the handle three times."
Dunno where that quote comes from; something I ran across while browsing the internet. :)
Or they literally reforged the blade or something like that.
Ah, a variant of the Ship of Theseus.
(not sure it helps much with this mod implementation, sorry)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart